Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

baby personality

Hi ladies

Just a quick one. I've been seeing a counsellor for my post natal depression and she was saying that a baby's personality is influenced by their parents and how their parents are with them and bring them up. I think it is just how the baby was born, if they are intelligent it's cos they were born intelligent, if they are polite they were born polite, etc.

Am I the only person who thinks like this as the counsellor thinks that I don't give myself enough credit for how Harrison is.

Thanks

Replies

• The good old nature vs. nurture debate!
    I honestly think it's little of both. Some LOs are very chilled and easy going, while others (like mine!) are high-demand and highly-strung. I think how you deal with them can help shape their personality and responses. You do deserve credit for your son; most (but not all) children are a reflection of their up-bringing.
    There are some traits that my LO has that neither me nor hubby have and I have no idea where he gets them from e.g he's really fussy about getting his hands dirty while me and hubby just get stuck-in.

Liz x
  • I think its a bit of both, I have four children and their personalities are very different although their values are the same, they know how to behave when they are out, always say please and thankyou and I often get comments about how polite and well mannered they are (pity they dont carry that on at home :lol: ) As for the personality My oldest daughter is 9 and she is not very confident, she loves to please people and is really a perfectionist, if something is not perfect she is not happy with it, my 4 year old on the other hand is very confident doesnt care if its not perfect, if she has done it then its perfect to her and is very upfront about everything, she is into everything and has to be kept constantly entertained, Isaac on the other hand is mr chilled out, didnt crawl till he was 11 months and has just started walking at the age of 18 months, nothing fazes him and he is happy to just watch the world go by. My 12 year old is a teenager already, enough said there i think.

Basically I think personality is something they are born with but I equally think it can change with a parents influence for example if you have a very confident child who you constantly tell no to or tell off then they may become less confident or if you have a child who isnt confident that you heap praise on then their confidence will grow.

Sorry for the long post and waffling on, but you need to look at all the positive aspects of your babys personality and give your self credit for being a great mum xx