Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How do u cope with the 'terrible twos'?!

My DD turned 2 in april, and literally, since the day after her bday, ive been struggling so much with her.
she seems so angry all the time, and frustrated and can be quite vicious.

I took her to the doctors this morning as shes had nappy rash for a while that wont clear, (doesnt bother her tho) and she screamed on the way there as she saw a dummy on the floor that she wanted, literally, she curls up in a little ball and screams like im murdering her! we got to the drs and she just ran around in circles, so i had to hold her on my knee, and she just screamed and kicked and scratrched me, and was even trying to spit at one point, but she got swiftly told off for this, as spitting is completely unacceptable. I could feel the eyes of the old people burning at me! but i couldnt let her run round either, so i cant win! and then after we finsihed, we went to the chemist.. walked past the dummy again, so she kicked off even more, and after wed picked up her cream, she just refused to walk anywhere. sat on the floor screaming, so i just shoved her over my shoulder and practically ran home! she then got mad becuase i wouldnt let her have the post, and she was just hysterical, so i just took her to her room, put her in bed and left her. she hasnt made a peep since, so that tantruming must hae worn her out.

im just at the point where im struggling to control her. i feel like i could actually pull my hair out. doesnt help that im nearly 34 weeks pregnant and have quite severe spd and am on crutches and housebound (but had to go to drs obv!)

im so scared that its not the 'terrible twos' but thats shes going to be like this forever! im trying my very hardest, but i get so wound up sometimes, and end up shouting at her, which makes stuff so much worse. i dunno, i know that its probs 'normal' but it just doesnt feel like it happens to anyone but me!!

grace x

Replies

• Options
    Hi hon, my lo is only 18 months but have had a taste of the terrible 2s already!! It IS a phase and she will get over it; I know its hard now though. Dont worry though, it isnt just you!! My lo made quite a fuss in the card shop this morning though I just ignored him; got quite a few stares but I know if I ignore it he will eventually get bored and stop.

Have you thought of implementing a naughty step?

Just want to ask when you became housebound? She could be reacting like this both to the impending birth of your baby, and the fact she's bored with being stuck in the house all day. My lo gets very tetchy very quickly if we're not out and about, or at least in the garden.

Sorry, not really been much help!! x
  • Options
    You will cope with the terrible two's despite it being a difficult phase! I'm sorry to hear your kind housebound - it's not making this stage any easier is it?
    When my dd (27 months) acts out I either use the distraction method, time out, sing a song with her or say to her what I think she wants (or I threaten to send her to Brazil where DH is currently working!!!) - whatever is appropriate for the situation. I think alot of their frustration has to do with the fact their minds are going at lightening speed and they want to tell us things that they cannot yet verbalize.
    Give her time, she won't be like this forever - you'll have your sweet girl back!

• Options
    I totally know how you feel! My eldest lo turned 2 in January and he can be a little monster at times! His latest terrible 2s incident was last week when we were in a shop, he tried to grab a pair of sunglasses off a rack (nearly pulling the whole rack down!) and when I took them off him he screamed - literally! And not just a short scream, a long loud scream that brought everyone in the shop to a standstill so they all looked round at me to see what the hell I had done to him! I was mortified, it was so embarrassing. I just had to stay calm and tell him he was being naughty, and then get the hell out of the shop! I give him time out in his room when he acts up and we are home but when you are out and about it is hard.

Fingers crossed they all grow out of it very very soon!! x