Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Help with Naughty Step - screaming child in background!

Hello,

I've got a nearly 2 year old who's started hitting, screaming and kicking - and i thought he was such a good little boy!

We've been using the naughty spot and he's on it at the moment i keep going to take him off but he won't say sorry - he's so aware of what hes not doing so i say he can't come off the naughty spot until he says sorry - every time he just starts crying and won't say it

Any advise i don't want him to get away with it and it is a punishment but does it get to a point where he won't say it i'll be here all day!

Help!!!!

Replies

• My lo is 21 mnths and I don't think he understands the word sorry. We don't use the naughty spot yet but, if he hits etc, I get down to his level and tell him what he has done is wrong and hurts Mummies feelings. I then simply ask for a kiss and a cuddle to show he is sorry and then let it go. Eventually I'll introduce the word sorry and the naughty spot but I feel James is not quite old enough yet.
  • hello, I really have never used the naughty spot either. To be honest Ive not really had a problem with my three well not until DD no'2 came along but i will tell you right now that if I put her on a naughty spot it would be world war 3 and going from stroppy to rocket boosting hell in 5 seconds flat !!!( she is very strong willed! did you guess lol)

And so we use reward charts. I never give in either, if I say no I mean it and if one of them starts acting up they get ignored. If they hit out I level with them holding them so they look at me and tell them its not nice, it hurts please dont do it etc. and then when they say sorry they get cuddles and stickers.
    Its just a thought but could your lo be a little bored and so trying his luck???????????? I always find that unless my three are kept busy it really does turn into a living nightmare!!! luckily we are so very busy all day anyway which again I think helps keep them occupied and calm ish!!!! dont get me wrong we do have the odd day where I wish for bed time lol!!!
  • hiya, my dd is only 17mnths and we use the naughty spot and it works wonders! my dd cant say sorry yet so we ask for a kiss and a cuddle wen her times up. i think you lo might be trying his luck...and if you let him come off the step once without saying sorry he will know he can get away with it...im afraid the only way is to be strong and never go back on your word image
  • Hi, I think the success of the naughty step depens completely on the child, Isaac is 22 months and he just hasnt got a clue what its all about yet, if he hits or pinches then I usually just say no quite loudly and firmly and put him down and walk away, I just dont think he would 'get' the idea of having to stay in one spot then say sorry.

On the other hand I started to use it with Alice when she was just over 2 and it worked wonders for her, personally I would try a different approach anduse the naughty step when he is a bit older and more able to understand.

Good luck xx