Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

An obvious but very important warning

Hi all

Well its Olivia's birthday today and unfortunately we have not been able to celebrate in quite the fashion we had hoped because of an absolutely foolish idiotic mistake made by me.

On Tuesday Olivia and I went with a friend to a local park which has open ground as well having decided we would go for a picnic. I had an appointment at the hospital for her eyes as our family have history of poor eyesight etc. Anyway we were rushing around to get there on time and I wasn't very organised basically I forgot her sun hat and skin cream.. I only realised after we had left home and it was too late to go back and get it I hoped that the friend i was meeting would have her suncream with her.

Unfortunately this happened to be the 1 day when she had also forgotten her suncream, we decided that we would continue with the picnic but keep the girls in the shade and only allow short bursts in the park which doesn't have any shade BIG MISTAKE... I was checking Olivia regularly and couldn't see any pinkness so thought that she was alright.

Anyway we came to go home and almost immediately she went bright red on her cheeks and forehead so as soon as we got home I put her in a cool bath and then applied lots of moisturiser. This didn't work she still stayed extremely red but didn't seem bothered at all by it. So she went to bed as normal only for me to go in and check her at 9pm to find she had a big blister come up on her left cheek, I was horrified, then things went from bad to worse as Olivia woke up and rubbed her cheek and burst the blister, we decided then that we needed to take her to hospital, which we did and were advised that all they could do was apply vaseline to her cheek and then let it heal by itself. Anyway by the following morning her cheek had started to swell and her eye was beginning to close so I took her to the doctors where they put her on antibiotics to avoid infection and told me that the wound was clean and should peel in approx 5 days.

This morning however we went to get her up and her face was alot worse so we went back to the doctors to be told that she now had an infection and there was a possibility that she would need to be hospitalised and given antibiotics via IV drip, they decided that they would try her on 10ml of very strong antibiotics first and see her tomorrow morning at the doctors however if there was any spread in the redness to take her back straight away. Unfortunately the redness did start to spread further and so we returned to the doctors at lunchtime where she said that although it had spread Olivia was still in good spirits and so she would make a house call on her way home which she did and hopefully things are starting to improve and we have another appointment in the morning to check things are still going to the right way.

So really my point is and obvious one but still I am normally so careful and would smother Olivia in suncream but i doesn't matter even if the weather is slightly overcast your own little one may burn the same as Olivia has done and I felt it was important to just make everyone doubly aware that whether you are in the sun for 30mins or longer there is a distinct possibility you could end up with the same thing happening and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Thanks for reading

xxx

Replies

• it just goes to show it really is hard to notice isnt it. im the same with sun cream and a hat but there has been situations where the weather has started off horrible and turned and chloe may have been in contact with sun for a little while. after your story i will be making sure there is always suncream and a hat in the bag. thanx for sharing it. really hope she feels better soon.xxx