Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

dentist check ups for toddlers

Morning ladies

Who's lo has had their first dental appointment yet?? Shea had his first appt this morning at 2 1/2. He was as good as gold and was happy to be given stickers!!
The dentist checked over his teeth and he has a full set now, she also commented that his teeth were in good condition and no sign of decay, so he must be good at brushing them!!!!

I commented that I should hope he doesn't have decay at 2 1/2 and she told me its quite a common occurance nowadays and she rarely sees 2-3 year olds without the start of decay!!!!!

are there honestly that many mothers out there who give their children that much crap and don't worry about brushing that they get decay so early??? (not accusing anyone on here btw!!)

She even told me that she did a filling on a 21month year old last year!!!!! Personally I think that is very sad image

Claire xxx

Replies

• Wow thats terrible!! 21 months old?! I'm 26 and don't have any fillings!

Took JD when he had a few teeth through (he wasn't yet 1) - my dentist no longer accepts NHS patients and wanted to charge me ??10 a month for his treatments image so I booked him up as soon as one of the other dentists were accepting non-paying patients hence the early appointment.

He wouldn't open his mouth for her so we have to play dentist at home, but I've figured out its the taste of the latex gloves he hates, so wont even let me feel his mouth with one on, not looking forward to the next appointment in May!! She won't be able to get near him!

So glad Shea behaved well and very well done on his great teeth! image Can't believe so many kids have tooth decay thesedays! God I sound old now...
  • Hi ,Pepi had her first check up when she was 21 months old and it was aloso good,no problems,she got a small gift of a toothbrush,toothpaste and some stickers.Were advised to come back every 3 months,simply so she would get used to it and would have no fear in the future.With regards to tooth decay in toddlers I also think it is sad,but then it is notoriously difficult to brush toddlers teeth and lot of parents struggle with that.Things like fromage desserts,petits filous and youghurts are full of sugar,as is ketchup,cheerios,most cerals really.Even dried fruit contributes,and honey is among the worst culprits.Some kids may also have inherited rubbish enamel from their parents so their teeth are more susceptible.I personaly think this country is fantastic in dental hygiene especially with toddlers and kids,as the cavities are exception and not norm,but in some countries,like my home one,it is normal fro 2 to 3 year olds to have several rotten teeth.Horrible isnt it.
  • Hi Lara

My dentist was a bit funny with registering Shea too, I managed to get him registered when he was 1 but they wouldn't see him until at least 2 1/2 as they said there's no point as they don't open their mouths!!
    But I wanted Shea checked as I have rotten teeth, literally and have a mouth full of fillings and 6 crowns!!! so I don't want Shea to have similar problems.

She also warned me that Shea will probably get his adult teeth early, could be as early as 4!! as he cut his first tooth by 7weeks olds so adult teeth generally cut early!! The joy of that to come!!!
  • i took Lennon when he was 2 1/2,registered him when he was 1 1/2 but they said he didn't need an appointment that early

our NHS dentists in our practice are all polish so there is a bit of a language barrier and he did treat Lennon like he was 5 or something,just the way he was speaking to him,as soon as that chair started to go down Lennon started bawling,he hated it,even a sticker didnt cure it until he was outside!!! his next appointment is in Nov so im hoping hes going to be better

I had him at the doctors yesterday and he cried at her also,so my son is not the best of patients lol
  • My little boy wouldn't even go into the room! The dentist tried to have a look in the reception area and when he said open your mouth, he pulled his pants down! The staff were brilliant but he had none of it. Next time we go the dentist said we will have to hold him upside down to look in his mouth. Not looking forward to that.
  • What a good boy! I really do need to take lo so that he gets used to going. Something to add to my 'to do' list over Easter!
  • joannemarie -sorry that is soooo funny!! Obviously not for you at the dentist tho!!

better luck next time xxx
  • Joannemarie - too funny. Sounds like something my husband would teach lo to do to embarass me at the dentists.

We've not had a check up yet but as a mum of a toddler who literally refuses to let me brush his teeth I'm concerned I'll be one of those awful mum's you refer to whose lo's ea crap and have plaque and need fillings.

He doesn't eat a lot of crap, infact the only sugar he has on a regular basis is fruit based and he only drinks water and no juice. But he screams blue murder, kicks, bites, scratches, hair pulls, face pulls if you try and brush his teeth. It just makes the whole thing so traumatic that I've stopped trying to force him.
    In last couple of days he has started taking toothbrush and sucking toothpaste and chewing it a bit but not a hint of brushing. And if I attempt it, well you can imagine.

We've tried singing brushes, vibrating brushes, holding him infront of mirror you name it we've tried it. S x
  • Oh S, god I know you're not a mum who gives lo crap!! And I know how hard it is with the teeth brushing as Shea went through this around 1year or so, but thankfully I have gotten him out of it. He still moans occasionally but I tell him that he's got to be a brave dinosaur and open his mouth wide, and it worked. He's also better if he does it himself (with me trying to guide it into the right places!!) and I am no where near perfect as there has been many a night when I'll forget to brush his teeth!!!

a trip to the dentist might help me maybe?? He might feel a big boy and the dentist could show him how its done - it worked for a friend of mine
    xxx