Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

hello .......

Im just having a peek from baby forum as Eoin is 1 on the 30th oct! 'Toddler' never seems 2 come up in my 'forum jump' list though! how odd!
Just wondering when you guys started:

~ let LO feed themselves? Eoin has done couple of times but should I just let him go for it!!!
~ and when did you introduce the potty? Eoin seems 2 understand what poo poo and 'Change bum bum ' means........

thankyou, any tips wld be greatly recieved xxxxxxxx

Replies

• Hi,
    My Lol is now 22 1/5 months I can't really remembe when she started to feed herself but I say let him go for it ... if you can stand the mess of course!! Sometimes it helps to have 2 spoons one for him and one for you just so that he does actually eat something! and finger food is always good.

As for potty training, well, you can always sit them on the potty when ever you like just so the start to know what it is. It seems to be quite common to leave them until they do it themselves but I can't stand the idea of a three year old still in nappies!! My lol has actually only done any thing on the potty a couple of times. she tells me when she has been a poo and wants to be changed straight away but doesn't always seem to know before she needs to go. We have our second due in March and i would like her out of nappies before then so are going to tackle it head on probably around her second birthday

Good luck.
  • Sonny is 17 months, since about 14 months I have let him feed himself most things except anything runny (too messy), I just give him a spoon when he has mash or thick casserole & then sit with him & feed him a spoon in between his efforts (mostly smashed over face or in the eye, ocassionally he gets a mouthful!). Any other food I just put on his tray chopped up & let him finger feed himself, I usually leave a spoon on his tray too & he shoves it all in one handed whilst flicking the rest around with the spoon image He has been finger feeding himself since around 10 months with supervision but now I can just leave him to it.

As for potty traiing, well imo 1 is far too young, my hv told me that pushing lo into it too soon or rushing them can create issues futher down the road. All I do at the moment is when he Sonny has done a poo I go "yuk, poo poo" & change his nappy quickly without a fuss. he now does a poo then stops & looks at me with a yukky expression, so I know it is sinking in but we will probably look to getting more potty focussed after his 2nd birthday, for now I just want him aware that poo = yukky image rather than the current "hmm, nice & warm lets sit in this for the next 5 minutes & let it squish all up my back" image

[Modified by: Beebee on October 22, 2008 02:47 PM]