Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Nanny, Child minder or nursery?

Hi!
I'm expecting my second baby on june and my first one, Emma, will be 1 years old on May!

We're moved from italy last october, and, here, in London, I have only my husband who could help me, but not during the day.

So I'm thinking about an help for Emma, but non for all day, only for few hours a day.

What do you suggest me? she's very active and friendly.

What could be the best solution for her age between nanny, child minder or nursery?

Where can I find information about my area in London (I live in the Northside)?

thank youimage

Replies

• Hi! Just like to say that we want to move to Italy, what part are you from? I was a nanny for ten years and have to say that I think it's a wonderful choice. if you want to only have help for a few hours a day then a mother's help may be the answer. Your lo will still be in the house with you and you can supervise as much as you want. There are numerous agencies in london just look in the yellow pages- I'm not sure I'm allowed to name specific ones or you can advertise in 'the lady' magazine lots of nannies look in there for work. Another choice is a nanny share you get a nanny but for half the expense because you share it with another family. Plus your lo has the social experince of being with another child. Hope this helpful.
  • Hi Bubbles!
    I was born in Genoa, but I've lived in Milan and in Turin (all cities in the North). And I know Rome.
    Where dou you want to move?
    Thank you for your suggestion
  • We'll have to go to Milan or Rome because my husband will transfer through his firm in London. We're really excited about going and think we'll most probably go this time next year. Only thing is though, I'm useless at languages and I keep putting off learning.
    I spent some time in Lucca with work and loved it. I just think it's a wonderful place to raise children. Do you miss it? Or are you loving the London thing? We've just moved out of London and I have to say am missing the restaurants and shops!
  • I'm useless at languages too...as you can read!!!
    Sometimes I miss Italy...sometimes not...It dipends on the situations, are very different culture
    Milan and Rome are very different cities...relating people, weather and quality of life...
    If you want , you could write me an mail so we can "discuss" longer about that and if you want one day we can speak for emprove my english and your italian!!
    Bye
  • That would be a great idea! I thnk your English is great, much better than my pathetic attempt at learning Italian. It would be intersting to find out the differences between the two cities. If you'd like send me your email address and we can chat.
  • hi scilly... have a look on this website.. http://www.childcarelink.gov.uk/index.asp :\) click on the london bit then you can search for a varity of different child carers and play groups for you & your baby.. xx
  • Thank you sooo much wenders!
    I'm going to visit the web site!!;\)
  • That would be a great idea! I thnk your English is great, much better than my pathetic attempt at learning Italian. It would be intersting to find out the differences between the two cities. If you'd like send me your email address and we can chat.

Hello Bubbles!

I think that If you click on the button "mail" under my box you can send me an email, already
    If you'll have problems, let me know and I'll write you my address!
    Bye

• I would choose a nanny any day and i work in a nursery but would never send my child to one. A nanny is more personal and if you get the right one they will treat your child as if they are there own which gives you peace of mind that they are doing a good job. In a nursery or with a childminder they could be sharing a carer with 3-6 other children which i think is fine when they are a little older and can talk for themselves but when they are so young one to one i think is so much better xxx
  • Hi

Does anyone know where I can find information about Nanny shares? Thanks,

Adele
  • i am a child minder, this is definatly an option as we r generally flexable and willing to help at short notice, we are often also cheaper option.you can find a list of child minder and prices by ringing your local authority