Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

On sunday my daughter had a bad allergic reaction

Before my very eyes and within 2mins her whole body looked sunburned and her eyes and nose were swollen. Great big welts started to appear on her skin and she started vomiting. She looked very pale and lethargic. I thought she was going to die and id never been so scared. I recognised the rash as an allergy symptom as i have had them myself. I gave her piriton and by the time we got to hospital the swelling on her face wasnt so bad. Whilst the doc was seeing to her she went limp in my arms. They administered oxygen then transfered her to a paediatric unit for observation. She was discharged later that day. The worrying thing is that they've not isolated what caused it so she is waiting for an allergy test. Im worried that it may happen again between now and the test im on my guard always checking for rashes. Im still breastfeeding so im more conscious of what i eat incase its something in my milk. Any one elses little one had this and how do prepare yourself for emergencies?

Replies

• oh no you poor thing that must have been terrible both my kids have allergies faith is 3 and finley is 6 months never yet have they been that bad but have both really worried me a few times on friday we took finley for his allergie tests they were doing it by blood tests but they could not get any blood out of him so we have to go back in may and try again but whilst they were doing the tests he reacted to the latex gloves they were wearing. i would go to your gp and see what they say i have piriton for my kids from the gp ,i would also keep a food diary to see if you can find a link ,i was breast feeding finley he was reacting to all sorts of things i was eating one of them being nuts and he was covered in hives it was horrible so the doctor put him on nutramigen hypoalergenic milk so we are still waiting how old is your little one?
  • Lilah is 18 months and im expecting the doc to do her allergy test by blood rather than skin sensitivity because her reaction was quite bad the thing is on the morning she had the allergy she woke up fine pottered about as usual she hadnt had anything to eat or drink the rash started as i went to put her in the bath there was no bubbles or soap put in the water she was sick in the bath so i took her out and noticed how quick a rash was spreading. I had eaten a topic bar the night before and breastfed during the night its only the 2nd time ive had anything with nuts since i had her the first time was a couple of weeks ago and she was fine then. Surely if it was nuts then the allergy would have flared up the minute i breastfed her after eating the topic. The registrar at the hosp kept refering to anaphylatic shock so i gather thats means shes very sensitive to what ever it was that made her ill in the 1st place.
  • aww the poor little honey keep me posted as to how you get on
  • Gosh you poor thing. It must have been a really horrible experience, no wonder you were so scared. My friend's little boy is allergic to nuts and once he had the same reaction as your lo and she had to inject him with adrenaline from an 'Epi-pen' that she had to carry all the time.

An anaphylactic shock is something that you can die from quickly (sorry to sound so serious but it is), so it's important to find out what caused it, and to carry something like piriton or Epi-pen all the time.

You saved your lo's life by recognising the signs and acting on it straightaway. Good for you.

It's possible to be allergic to more than one thing. If the next time there is a reaction, it is possible to be a more serious one.

I hope they find out what it is. Very best of luck. Let us know how you get on.
    xx
  • It can take a little while for allergy symptoms to show. Fortunately my lo isn't showing any signs of inheriting it but I have several mild allergies. A few weeks ago I woke up with a small itchy patch on one arm which rapidly turned into a huge rash that gradually worked it's way round most of my body. I still had patches of it coming up three days later. Our bedding hadn't been washed recently (that makes me sound really mucky but you know what I mean!) so it can't have been anything that had been touching my skin so it must have been something that I had eaten 12 hours before, before I went to bed. Hopefully the tests will show what caused the reaction in your lo but it's propably worth cutting out all the likely suspects in the mean time.
  • Oh god you poor thing having to witness that! And poor little mite going thru it! Really hope it doesnt happen again, and that they isolate the cause. Hugs hun xx
  • My partner has several allergies and im allergic to penicillin i had hoped lilah wouldnt inherit the allergies from us. We havent had an appointment from the hospital for her allergy test yet so i always carry piriton with me now. I looked up information on epi pens but im reluctant to buy one without a doctors say so. Thanks for your support and advice will let you know how she gets on
  • My partner has several allergies and im allergic to penicillin i had hoped lilah wouldnt inherit the allergies from us. We havent had an appointment from the hospital for her allergy test yet so i always carry piriton with me now. I looked up information on epi pens but im reluctant to buy one without a doctors say so. Thanks for your support and advice will let you know how she gets on