Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Food Ideas

I need help

My daughter is 16 months old and eats anything...well she used too. She hasn't turned into a fusser eater just prefers home cooked hot food. That is all well and I don't mind but I am running out of ideas for lunches for her. She will reluctantly eat a sandwich, or toast, or crackers etc etc but she only half the amount of a cooked meal so is requiring dinner between 4-4.30, even with snacks between meals. I like her to eat a main meal with us about 5.30 like she used too. I am also due a baby is 9 weeks time as can just see me running out of time to make several meals. I can freeze meals but I'm not very organised and would only forget to get them out of the freezer LoL.

Anyway..I was justing hoping someone could help me with some ideas.

Thanks
Kerry, Freya and Pink Bump
X X X

Replies

• What about soup? Any veg with a decent sized potato (thickens the soup) chopped up and boiled in baby veg stock. Once soft just blitz it all up, add a little water if it's too thick, and serve with bread. Once cooled, if you keep it in an air tight container in the fridge, it can last 3 to 4 days. I really struggle with this type of meal. My lo eats stacks at lunch but only picks at his tea. My main prob is he won't eat sandwiches unless he's at nursery! Beans on toast goes down well. If he's not eaten a lot I try to fill him with rice pudding or bananas and custard. Omlettes are quick and easy and you can fill them with veg like peas and sweetcorn or tuna. I'm rambling now.... sorry, I'm just trying to think what I've tried with James. Good luck.
  • we have a proper dinner every day & I just save a portion to give Sonny for lunch the next day. I make extra veg too & he has a yogurt after.

I was wasting so much money on sandwich things that would mainly end up on the floor as he is just not that into bread, so this way I know he is getting a decent lunch everyday (he goes tot he Childminder) and also means he snacks less too as he is getting a hearty lunch. He used to be starving by 3pm but now he might eat a small pear or bit of banana whereas before he was needing a whole banana or a small bag of cookies to tide him over till dinner at 5pm.
  • If you don't have any left overs for some reason a snap pot of beans or spaghetti hoops on toast are easy as is my lazy omlette.

Take 2 eggs, mix in some milk & a dash of salt & black pepper, open a tin of mixed peas & carrots, drain the juice & add half to the egg, chop some sliced ham or chicken & add to the egg too. Put a knob of butter in a small frying pan & add the egg mixture, then just scramble the whole lot up together. Serve with a slice of bread & butter or toast. If you have any left over cooked potato then cube it & add to the mix too, making it Spanish scrambled eggs. image

Another quick fav of Sonnys is pasta cooked with chopped mushrooms, peas, carrots, sweetcorn & then mix in some ham. & cucumber once it is cooked.
  • scrambled egs and beans on toast are great, as is soup.
    As for the freezer thing i am forever forgetting to have anything prepared and actually what works great is when you make up your frozen meals do a few individual pots as well. that way if you all have the meal, easy peasy, and if you just want a portion for her, even if it's 10 mins before her meal, just whip it out and defrost in the microwave - they're small portions so take about 4mins to defrost and then you can heat it up for another few mins hth =D
  • ooh forgot to add the freezing works the other way too, if you've made too much of something just put the left oves into individual potds for those -what on earth do i give her- moments and pop in the freezer. microwaves are a blessing in disguise lol!
  • Ben loves corn on the cob with a bit of butter..some days when he just wont settle down to eat a meal i find giving him finger type foods help,tat way he can walk round still playing ect but getting sme food in him lol!!
    I also give him bread sticks with a dip,usually philly or garlic dip..doesnt always use the dip but loves the breadsticks
    I have given up with sandwiches too as they only end up on the floor like Beebee said,though he will eat toast with peanut butter or jam on.
    Dinners tend to be what i have made in the week and frozen or depending on what im having a smaller serving!
    He likes corned beef hash with mash,shepards pie,mini pizzas(so he can pick them up)and i have found those boil in the bag fish in sauce a life saver as they can be done in the microwave in afew minutes,add mash and veg and he always eats the lot!!!
    Waitingforbaby is soo right my microwave as never had so much useage lol
  • I cook alot of Pasta and I agree Banjismummy thoses boil in the bag fish things are fab. I put the bag into boiling water with a potato for 15 mins then add carrots, peas and sweetcorn for the remainder 5 mins. In 20 mins she has fishamens pie type thing and it only took 1 sauspan.

Freya won't eat pizza. She picks the topping off. She loves soup especially tomato (but what a faff to make) so she usually gets veg or chicken. She will eat what we eat if I cook as I'm not an adventrous cook. My oh was a chef and most of the time his cooking is too rich for freya little tummy to cope with. Although on occation we have given it to her she has loved it. It just the nappies the following day lol.

baked beans and tin spag are a fav. I just feel like I am giving her the same things all the time. I need to dig out a cook book I think. I have the Annabell one somewhere,

Thanks ladies, all ideas appreacited.

Kerry
    X X X
  • I cook alot of Pasta and I agree Banjismummy thoses boil in the bag fish things are fab. I put the bag into boiling water with a potato for 15 mins then add carrots, peas and sweetcorn for the remainder 5 mins. In 20 mins she has fishamens pie type thing and it only took 1 sauspan.

Freya won't eat pizza. She picks the topping off. She loves soup especially tomato (but what a faff to make) so she usually gets veg or chicken. She will eat what we eat if I cook as I'm not an adventrous cook. My oh was a chef and most of the time his cooking is too rich for freya little tummy to cope with. Although on occation we have given it to her she has loved it. It just the nappies the following day lol.

baked beans and tin spag are a fav. I just feel like I am giving her the same things all the time. I need to dig out a cook book I think. I have the Annabell one somewhere,

Thanks ladies, all ideas appreacited.

Kerry
    X X X
  • my lo is now 14 months old and has always been a nightmare eater never ate baby food so we tried the fugure foods and thats what he likes!
    it is hard as he doesnt really have any veg, he'll eat cucumber and melon, bannana and fruit pots yogurts etc but then its things like waffels, fish fingues, pizzas, macaroni cheese - childminder managed to get him to eat boil in the bag fish i couldnt believe it! beans we've just managaed to get him to have and spag hoops!

he will eat some toast but bread just gets thrown! ive found crumpets and bagels good alternative with cheese triangle on!there nice and quick!

xx