Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

2 1/2yr old having problems putting words together

Dear All,

I'm a very concerned parent who is trying not to be. Nursery are also starting to be a bit concerned which has hightened my awareness of the problem. My son is just coming up 2 1/2 years old, he does say some words but they are mostly one syllabel long. If we get him to put the word into parts he can say each bit i.e. "a" and then "gain" but if you try to get him to say "again" he seems to get all mixed up and it doesn't come out right. He will say some three words sentences like i did it, there it is etc. He loves playing imagination games with his toys and always talks in his own language when he does. We read daily sometimes up to 5 books in a day. We describe and talk to him as much as possible. He understands everything and follows all instructions we give him. He is clever is so many other ways and is already doing 26 piece puzzles on his own. He goes to nursery 2 days a week and my mothers one day. The rest of the week he is at home with me as an only child my attention is fully his.

Sue

Replies

• hi hun ,im afraid i dont have much advice , my son is 2 and a half and he is talkin well but still leaving some syllables out of words and saying things wrong but i think its just a case of when they say it repeating it back to them correctly ....e.g jack will say "my not want to go nursery" instead of i dont want to go to nursery........he has just had his 2 yr check and the health visitor isnt worried but if u are worried and nursery are then maybe ask your h/v to see her and see if she can advise u......i do know that if children do have a speech problem its better to see a speech thearapist sooner as they learn to say things quicker when there younger ...........sorry not much help xxxxxxxx
  • Thanks,

I've booked him into see the health visitor next Monday. She has said he will go straight on the list to see a speach therapist but i've read it can take upto six months to get an appointment.

Sue
  • there is a speech therapist who posts here & she has advised that there is no referal process so call your local speech therapy cerntre & book in yourself instea dof waiting for the HV/GP to do it/