Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Christmas, how many presents?

Hi,

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, both boys, and I just wanted to get your opinions on how many presents you will buy or how much you are planning to spend for christmas this year?
Will you set a limit on money or just get a certain number of things you want to get them?
Last year I spoiled them a lot because I felt guilty about it being their first christmas with me and their dad being split up but this year, they haven't seen him since July and won't be seeing him again as far as I know so I'm feeling really guilty about that too (although I know it's not my fault!) but money's a lot tighter this year as I'm sure it is for a lot of you so I'm just wondering what you think is appropriate

Thanks,
Gemma

Replies

• Hi Gemma, like you money is tight in our house, we have 4 children aged 12, 9, 4 and 18months, last christmas was a bit of a downer for us becuase hubby had been in and out of hospital and we had been having a bit of a rough time, trouble is, he has been in hospital again but becuase he cant drive he cant do all the aspects of his job it means that as of next month his work are stopping his uplift payment (bonus for if he does call out). we cant really complain becuase they have paid him it for a year whilst he hasnt been doing it but its a bit much to stop it the month before christmas :x I think we will have to limit the spending but it is so difficult becuase the youngest 3 still think that father christmas will bring them everything I want them to have a great christmas because last year was so rough for all of us. I guess we will get them one big present (about ??30 ish) thenstocking fillers, Woolies have 3 for 2 on all toys at the moment and boots have loads of 3 for 2 offers as well, hopefully that will make the money go a bit further.
  • I'm sorry to hear about your hubby Hayley, I hope he is recovering.
    With 4 kids running around christmas must be so much fun in your house even when times are hard!!
    I'm definately going to take advantage of the 3 for 2 offer at Woolies this week although it's hard with my older one on half term, like today I picked up some Charlie and Lola flannels in Boots to go in their stockings and I tried to hide them from Ollie but he saw me paying!!
  • At their ages I am 100% sure they wont care how many pressie they get, the fun is in the unwrapping & magic of the day.

Personally I'm only buying Sonny one or two new small things & added to 2 bigger things I got off ebay I plan on not spending more than 40 quid. His nan, aunts & a couple of frends have all bought him other gifts too so he will have plenty on the day.

I really hate this pressure parents feel to go ott on Christmas, the kids really wont care if they get 5 or 500 presents, if the day is made fun & exciting for them & you spend it together then that is what it is all about imo. Not overloading them on gifts & bankrupting yourself in the process image

So set a limit for each one (like 30 quid) & ask relatives to chip in with any large purchases
  • Hi, my lo will be 15 months and I don't think he'll understand about xmas. We're also pretty skint so I intend to make him a stocking with lot's of little bits & pieces and then one 'main' pressie 20-30 pounds. I think you're lo's will have a fantastic christmas with you and you shouldn't feel at all guilty. x
  • i have lost count,lol
    i tell myself every year that a wont go mad, mine are 16, 11, 2 and 6m
    i started early and got some bargins in summer sale and have taken advantage of all 3for2 and half price offers. the babies have got more coz i got stuff soooo cheap but the older ones have less, eldest will get ??50 and some stocking fillers, 11yr old a psp and stocking fillers babies lots of lil things to open,and their "main" pressies were only ??25 each, all in all i spent around ??500 but i started in summer so i havnt gone skint.
    im getting vouchers from park for next xmas so i can save any spare cash for the sales and treat myself image

i think the older kids get the more pressure to get all latest stuff, while they r young they r too wrapped up in the magic of xmas to care if they got loads and loads of gifts.
    xxx
  • At such a young age they don't know how much you spend, it's still all about the unwrapping!

boots do some really good toys in there 3 for 2 offer. And also keep an eye on your local pound shop. I know it sounds cheap but you can pick up good stocking fillers, last year we got my lo a pink mobile phone and car key set from there, she loves them and they are still working now. Obviously just be abit careful if you lo is really little as clearly anything from there isn't very good quality.

What ever you decide though I would definately set a limit, have a good think about what to get each child so that when it comes time to open the presents they each have about the same amount to open ... and also remember you might be able to get some better deals if you shop with stores online.

Happy shopping :lol:

• Oh and I forgot to say ... only spend money that you have ... although christmas is christmas it's really not worth getting into debt over.

And if you spoil the children because you feel guilty about something they will come to expect it so be careful!! I'm sure the love and time with their mummy around the christmas tree is very exciting and important to them.