Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

throwing food

Hi There

I am hoping for some advice my 17 month old is defiantely finding his naughty side and at the moment is in to throwing everything but mainly food at dinner time, I am sure he thinks its a game.

Not sure what to do I tell him no which he does understnad but it doesn't seem to work, one of my friends told me that there is no point in disciplining unitl they are about 2?? not sure this is right either.

any advice would be welcome, I tried ignoring him when he threw his dinner at me and his dad hoping this might work but it didn't either!

Thanks
Leigh

Replies

• I could have written this topic myself. James is 18mnths and seems to have discovered the whole throwing thing. All I do is say no a couple of times and then take whatever he is throwing off him. If it's food I'll take the plate/bowl away and just fill his fork and give it to him. I don't make a massive fuss about it as this just seems to encourage him and I ignore it if he plays up because I've said no. He seems to get the message and goes off to play with something else. I don't know if this is classed as dicipline but it seems to work.
  • Gosh this is sooo like my son as well, he's 19 months and DOES MY HEAD IN DOING THIS!!!!!!!!!!! My HV says to ignore him and tbh he does do it more if I tell him off but he does it anyway to amuse himself I think he just likes it!
  • im having the same trouble to luke has taken to throwing his food on the floor i may try to do as the other post says and take it off him give him little attention and then see what happens!!!!!!!!!!driving me mad 2!!!
  • lol it must be a pre 2s thing coz isaac 22 months has been doing this for a while - i agree with nesselis way of doing it. then you just have to wait for them to grow out of it. good luck xx
  • Im the same as nessellis my little boy is 15 months and does the same.