Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

feel a bit guilty!

Hey ladies, haven't been around for a while but thought i'd pop back and say hi and also for your opinions plz!

Basically I feel guilty coz i've bought most of Charlie's presents from an nct sale, they're all in great condition and still available to buy from the shops (to buy brand new would have cost ??200 but i got it all for ??45) but i feel guilty like im being a cheap-skate, its just money is tight this year but i feel like a bad mum for doing it???

Replies

• Options
    By buying these things you've given your lo what he wants, you've kept yourself out of debt which means you are happy and you have food on the table.... How is that being a bad Mum? We are all in the same situation and we need to do whatever we can to get through. Your lo won't remember the presents he got for Christmas 2009 he'll remember his Mum tickling him and laughing as hard as he is. Good on you.
  • Options
    dont feel bad! i bought a majority of my los xmas presents new but i have also bought him an elmo live of ebay second hand but in great condition and im also thinking of buying some happyland off there because they have some of the sets they no longer sell anymore!
    children dont care whether things are second hand or not at this age! all they know is that its new toys (for them) and they will love it new or or not!
    my mum also does the same occasionally or through out the year for my little brothers and sisters and they have ended up with more things because of it!
    it actully makes you a far better mum for finding a way around your financial situation then not bothering at all. i know someone close to me who doesnt bother getting her lo anything and relys mainly on relatives!
    please dont feel guilty he wont know the difference and if anything you wont have to mess around getting toys out of boxes that are packaged like fort knox :lol: he can get stuck straight in!!! xxx
  • Options
    Hun, if you only have a limited budget which do you think he'd prefer? One new toy, or loads of lightly used ones? If he's anything like my two he'd much rather have the big bag of goodies! Personally, regardless of your financial situation I think spending hundreds of poinds on presents for children who would be as happy with the boxes, is ridiculous anyway image
    xx
  • Options
    don't feel guilty, it's fab how much you've saved!
    i have bought the boys some presents from ebay too, dvd's, puzzles and i got a Charlie talking doll (Charlie and Lola) for ds for about ??3!
    I love a bargain and kids don't mind 2nd hand stuff, they won't even notice!
  • Options
    aww hun well done on saving so much!! you shouldnt feel guilty you have clearly been a bargain queen!! so well done you!!

dont you find that birthdays/christmas can become too much of a competition?? it drives me mad!! it shouldnt be about how much you spend but how much thought has gone into a gift and more importantly as long as your little one is happy and healthy thats the most important thing and money cant buy either of them!!

• Options
    Don't feel guilty at all I think it's a great idea and your little boy has probably ended up with a lot more than if you'd gone and bought everything new.
    My Mum's going to get Rhys a kitchen for his b'day which is 27th Dec, but asked if she can give it him a little later and get it in the sales. He won't know the difference what day he gets it on and he'll have so much stuff within the space of 2 days, last year we still had stuff unopened mid Jan anyway ha ha so why not save a bit of money.
  • Options
    Do not feel guilty. I'm very impressed actually that you got some great bargains.

Your lo wont have a clue anyway tbh! Not until he's at school and wanting everything the other kids have lol! So make the most of it.

We haven't bought our lo loads for Xmas. I really don't see the point in spending loads. I'd rather get a few pressies that I know she will enjoy rather than buying all the new fads that are coming out. I got her a big talking Peppa Pig for half price from Toys R Us, now looking out for a cheap kitchen for her 2nd birthday in January.
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with buying second hand or in sales. I wish I had been more careful with some of Cally's shopping, rather than sticking it on a card - hubby not pleased with me, I am terrible shopaholic! Last year I bought all my grandkids stuff and a lot of Cally's in the sales. And when my grandson turned 5 a few weeks ago I had bought him some Action man stuff from a summer fair, I felt a bit guilty cos I usually spend the same roughly on them all, but I have only just gone back to work after maternity leave and we are still getting back on our feet. My grandson absolultey loved the action men and their car - and even at 5, he didn't know they were not brand new. The only problem was I put them all in a nappy box to wrap them up and he wasn't meant to pull all the paper right off but did - the look on his poor little face when his big brothers teased I had bought him nappies... but when he opened the box he was thrilled!
    I think as long as the toys are in good condition it doesn't matter where they came from - what does matter is no debt and happy kids + happy mum!
    Alison xx
  • Options
    Thanks girls, feel much better! It's just such an an expensive couple of months, from here onwards I've got Charlies bday followed by hubby, SIL, mum's 50th, brother then in Dec it's parents anniversary, hubby's twin brothers bday, MIL's bday and then grans bday!! very expensive time of year!!xx