Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleep issue - new to lo !

Archie has almost always been a pretty good sleeper. With the exception of illness, teething etc. Or the early waking issue that we seem to have cracked.

However in the last week, every night, he has been fighting bedtime. Started over a wk ago at in-laws when FIL tried to put him to bed and he screamed and screamed. So I eventually gave in and he fell asleep in sofa. That happended the next night too when in-laws were babysitting.

Since then he has screamed and screamed, after an initial 15mins of quiet after putting to bed. He has gotten so upset (nearly sick) and hot that I've taken him out and let him fall asleep on me or sofa etc. Now the last 3 nights he has started screaming in middle of night too for up to 1hr and a half. (eventually in with us at 3am last night!)

He's not ready to drop nap - I couldn't stop him falling asleep in daytime if I tried.
Could he be ready for a bed ? - reluctant to change until after holiday in Sept as don't want him climbing out and wandering strange villa with marble floor/stairs.
Have I encouraged this by letting him sleep on sofa and now he's just being a cheeky monkey ??

Thanks - very tired and grumpy Suz x

Replies

• thats a difficult one as kids learn "bad" habits way too quickly but it is so hard to stick to your guns at 3 in morning when coming into mummy and daddy bed meens more sleep. is archies bed a cot bed, you could see if being in a bed works an dif not put the sides back on ?
  • he may be being a cheeky monkey, like fiona said they get into bad habits very quickly!!! and I can't appreciate you know he still needs a nap as Shea does too.

as for the bed / cot thing Shea has slept in his toddler bed now for over a year but when he naps / sleeps over at his nana's he still sleeps in a cot!! not a cotbed but a small cot and then on holiday he slept in a normal single bed so maybe archie would still sleep in a cot on holiday if you're worried??

soz not much help! x
  • I'm no expert but it sounds to me like he, for whatever reason, got all upset when fil put him to bed and has quickly learnt that if he creates he can get his way...does that make sense ?

I would be strict with him and make sure he knows its bedtime, hard I know at 3am !!
  • I don't know how to help as Lucy is doing exaclty this too! She sobs when we go to put her to bed, at nap time and at bed time. We have been so harsh, and not given in, and it has gotten better after a week or so, but she is still having her moments! I carry her up the stairs with her screaming, 'no bed mammy, no bed'. It breaks my heart, but i know she is shattered and needs the sleep.

She is also up during the night too, almost every night image Again we're just mean and not getting her up. We make sure she is ok, but she stays in her cot.

Little tinkers hey?!
  • If I'm honest I think I was hoping there was a reason rather than it just being a bad habit, phase etc.

Unfortunately I think you're right. He very quickly responded to chage in routine and getting his own way.
    Last night was a huge improvement. I persevered and after an hour of on and off crying he fell asleep in cot. Massive difference to previous 7 nights.

Then he woke at 2.50am. He got a quick cuddle and back down again. Didn't hear form him again until 7am when hubby had to wake him to get ready for childminder.

So I'm going to stay tough and stick with reinforcing his bedtime routine etc. Hopefully we'll get back into the swing of it. Just in time for our hols in Sept when he'll stay up late, sleep late and nap whenever he likes in the heat !! Thanks girls. S x
  • You are kidding right?? Stay up late, sleep late???
    if he does I want to swap sons!!!

We gave Shea a late night on Saturday as we had a big celebration bbq at our house. he went to bed at 9.45pm, absolutley shattered after so much enjoyment....hubby and I got to bed at 2am after all guests had finally gone...............Shea woke at 5am!!! I insisted he went back to bed....he did......until 5.45am and THAT WAS IT!!!!

god I was sooooo tired!!

I hope the routine settles for him soon and have a lovely holiday in Sept xx
  • OMG Claire. 5am after a late night. I physically couldn't do it anymore.

But like Shea the occasional late night has no effect on his wake up time. But if it becomes the norm, which I'm sure it will on holiday if we're going out for dinner at night etc. then he tends to sleep later if it's over a period of time.
    Well I hope he will, cos I've no intention of being up that early on my hols ! x