Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

feeding himself?

when do i start to encourage joseph to use a spoon himself? he is 10 months old and eats anything really and loves finger food. but what about feeing himself? any advice be appreciated xxx

Replies

• i started at this age. i put a little amount of yogurt (yogurt seemed the least messiest colour) in a bowl and gave lo a spoon. she made a proper mess and still does (she 14months) but she has great fun and it encouraging her to eat with a spoon although at the moment she trying to eat her raisins with a spoon and getting very frustrated.lol
  • I was going to post this too! Joshua is only 9 months but he grabs the spoon and i guide it into his mouth but he lets go of it before it gets to his mouth hence why he needs my guidance! when he does pull the spoon out i always say well done and now he claps his hands everytime he does it its so cute! If i give him the spoon he just plays with it and sometimes i dont get it back...he's really strong x
  • thanks ladies! i will try the yoghurt idea sounds good and he loves yoghurt!!!!! xx
  • I found porridge was quite a good one to start with as well. It sticks to the spoon so it doesn't keep falling off and they don't get frustrated as quickly (or at least Millie doesn't)