Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

a bit o/t..who's had swine flu?

I've been feeling ill for past 2 weeks. It started with a really sore neck down one side, sore throat and a headache which went after about 3 days. As I felt better I planned to go out with a friend sat night, but sat morning I had a temp, headache, ear ache and the sore neck/throat thing. I was in bed for most of 2 days, just felt so tired (thank god hubby was at home). So I went on the flu pandemic website and it said I had swine flu and should get anti-virals, it gave me a reference etc. But I didn't get them as you can only get one lot, and I wasn't sure I even had flu.Plus I'm not high risk for any reason. So I felt better again Tues and Weds, but today the headache and earache have come back and I feel sick and tired.

What's wrong with me?! Does it sound like flu or is it maybe a virus? Should I get the anti-virals or not bother? It's so confusing and of course I can't go to the docs incase I might have flu :roll: and I just think the diagnosing on the website is crap! Would love any opinions or help you could offer. Thanks for reading.

xxx

Replies

• Hi, I had swine flu last week and did take the tamiflu, like lara n chloe I had terrible insomnia and I felt sick (but then I was feeling sick anyway) Tamiflu is only effective if you take it within 48 hours of the symptoms appearing. It is hard to know whether you have really had it as you get diagnosed either over the phone or on the internet. I had bronchitis as a complication of mine so I did see the doctor who is pretty certain that is what I had, but he did also say everything viral is getting diagnosed as swine flu at the moment. Keep taking lots of fluids and rest as much as you can xx
  • I had swine flu and all your symtoms sound very much like mine. I didn't take tamiflu I had the inhaler form relenza because we were ttc at the time and a chance could be pg. Didn't give me any side effects but I honestly don't know if it even worked as it took me nearly 2 weeks to feel completely right really did knock me for six. Alot of people aren't taking tamiflu because of the side effects and just riding it out- also its only effective if you stat taking it in the first 48 hrs so probably wouldn't work for you now not sure if relenza is the same but I had almost immediatelyy anyway. Hope you feel better soon,x
  • Aw thanks for your replies, and sorry you've all been poorly. It's probably not even worth me taking the tamiflu anyway since I've been poorly on and off for a couple of weeks- and I certainly don't need a bout of insomnia after! I was just a bit confused as I thought flu was just like a really bad cold, that's why I wasn't sure if I had it. Girls are a bit under weather too so just hoping they don't get it badly. Hubby is perfectly fine!

Fingers crossed it will ease off soon. Lara, I will have a look for that tonic thanks, never thought of anything like that.

xxx
  • I've never had it but just wanted to say I hope you feel better soon!!

Big hugs x x x
  • Hope you're feeling better soon.

I've been full of a cold all week and lo has had a horrid cough and today he has been so lethargic and teary. Dr said most likely swine flu and that tamiflu was probably not worth taking at this stage.

So sent us home to ride it out for another couple of days. Although going back tomorrow if lo doesn't perk up.

Take care, hope you feel better. S x