Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Help - Nightmare Nappy Changing

hi my 17 month old son, hates having his nappy changed, it really is a battle everytime, he screams hysterically & gets so worked up, he can't even calm down afterwards. He doesn't yet wear pull ups, but to be honest after a big pooh (& he does 4/5 a day), he has really to be layed down for a good wipe/clean. i tried to do it with him standing up, but its a disaster. i've tried on my lap, but he's so big now, he falls off & struggles all the time. i'm pretty much at the end of my tether with it & have tried all distractions, telling him to STOP, being nice & making it fun etc. Am totally fed up with it now & he's got nappy rash again, so i need to smother in him cream, which just ends up going everywhere. any suggestions. xx

Replies

• Sounds horrific, sounds like you have tried everything. Mine reads a book / watches TV but I guess you've tried that. I lay mine down to wipe as well but he gives up protesting quickly.
    Is he too small for reward incentives and sticker charts? Just a thought.
    Keep your chin up. Hope it gets better soon.
    Saz
  • thanks Saz, i've tried loads of different distractions, the only thing that recently worked, was him holding my mobile phone!. but don't really want that sucked/bitten to death. its been taking 2 of us to change him recently, but even that is a struggle (hubby holding down shoulders, me trying to wipe, etc & get new nappy on - he's so strong & fights us, that it takes ages. we have totally given up using baby changing facililites when out & about, it just can't be done alone (& is too embarrassing). we now only go out, when we think that he won't poo. we leave him in a wet nappy til we are home!. sounds really awful i know, but what else can we do. he's fine having his bum changed at nursery though typical!
  • Sorry Saz, all I can do is sympatheise as I know exactly what youre going through, it was part of the reason we started potty training early!

My little one loves playing with my mobile phone too & when I got a new handset I gave her the old one. If it would settle him it would be worth asking friends & family if anyone had an old one lying around

Hilary x
  • I too would be mortified!!! How much stress for you. Wonder if nursery is the peer thing going on.
  • i used to sing " this is the way we change are bum" to my daughter and give her the wipes to hold it is a night mare i think they all go through it my friend used to end up in tears with her little one
  • I think a lot of them go through this but only lasts a few weeks in my experience. My niece and my son both went through it around the 14-15 month stage and my daughter who is 13 months has just started it. I try to get them involved in the nappy changing. Hold the nappy cream or the nappy. Tell them to lift their bum, hold their legs up, legs back down etc.

If none of this works what about taking him to bathroom, emptying poo from nappy into toilet and get him to stand in bathroom whilst you use toilet wipes to clean him and the he could flush the loo.
  • Freddie has been like this since about 10 months (so about 8 months in total) - its been a constant battle, but just recently he's gotten a bit better, i'm praising him throughout (if he's laying still) & trying to change him as quick as feasibily possible, we had a slight set back recently as he had terrible nappy rash & wiping him was obviously making him sore, but now the rash has cleared he's been a lot better. putting on a clean nappy is proving more difficult now though, so i'm going to try pull ups, as he can be standing up for those. He now tells me when he been to poo & even heads for the bathroom to be changed - bless xx

[Modified by: CathyG on October 09, 2007 02:55 PM]
  • Pull ups are def easier when they are toddlers. Isn he so good heading for the bathroom when hes done a poo though!

Hilary x