Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tips for taking a 13 month old on holiday abroad

Hi all

We are going to spain in a couple of weeks and this is the first time that my ds has been abroad. He is currently on two bottles of cows milk per day and I am wondering about what we will do when we go abroad? Should I just buy spanish whole milk? I was thinking I could take Toddler 1+ formula but not sure if he'll drink it now cos formula is so much sweeter than cows milk. Plus we're only going for a week so doubt i'll use the rest when we get home. I also thought I could just take 14 cartons of ready made toddler milk but this will take up quite a bit of space/weight in the suitcase and could leak! Any tips?

Would also be grateful for any other tips for taking a lo abroad, i'm getting nervous and thinking this may be more stressful than just staying at home for a week!
Thanks
xx

Replies

• ah honey relax!! you will be fine, we took evie to sharm el sheik when she was 8 months and barbados when she was 17 months, you will be fine!
    if your lo is on cows milk then just give him cows milk, its all the same stuff.
    i took 14 bottles of 1+ milk to barbados and evie went off it because of the heat so i took them home again!

as for other tips just take lots of toys/books etc, your lo will be loving the pool etc so will be occupied all day swimming etc

hope you have a great holiday, it will be fine!
    xxxx
  • I agree - relax and you will have a fab time! Toddlers are very portable and generally it's the parents anxieties that cause problems!!
    My lo went to the pacific coast of Mexico at 9mths, Thailand at 20 moths and Florida at 30 months! Her passport is very impressive!!
    Cows milk will be fine - have a fab holiday!!
    xx
  • We took Luke away for the first time abroad to menorca last month n be ws 13months at the time. I was so anxious about everythi g: would he b ok on the plane, would he eat n drink plenty (he was a poor eater) n would the heat bother him? All my worries were for nothing, he was brilliant! He was so interested in what other people were doin on the plane he never batted an eyelid, he ate n drank for england n the heat didn't bother him one bit! I took formula powder with me as like u I was concerned a out the weight but we found that the local supermarket stocked cows milk (Spanish and cravendale) so we used that the whole fortnight. Mostly the Spanish whole milk too, it tasted exactly the same n Luke liked it. I would take a few ready made cartons n just buy whole milk there even if u can't find cows milk most supermarkets stock cow & gare although it is very expensive, as are nappies n wipes so make sure u take plenty. We had to buy a small pack of 24 wipes 3 euros!!!

My other tips would be to take new toys that ur little one hasn't seen so they r interested in them. Talc was a lifesaver as Luke hates getti g ready n when I was changing out of his all in one swimsuit when he was still a bit sticky where he'd been wet if u know what I mean? Talc just made it 10x easier to get him changed after swimming...less tantrums! Hope u have a fab hol x