Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Why oh Why - So many accidents and hubby going OTT

Shea has been dry in the day for about 4 weeks now with no accidents, then last Thursday he had two at nursery, a wee and a poo one. then over the weekend he had loads too, Sunday he jsut stood in living room and weed on the floor 3 times while his potty was right beside him, and then yesterday he had 5 accidents at nursery again!!!

what is going on??? Nursery suggested he might have water infection so hubby took him to gp this morning who is taking a sample but he doesn;t think he is, gp thinks he's just being lazy!!

But the real problem I have is how hubby is dealing with it. he's getting angry with Shea for having accidents and telling him off. i tried to calmly tell him this morning that shouting and telling him off isn't the way to go, "oh I suppose you've read that somewhere by some "expert" have you?" well yes I have many times!! He hates it when I refer to " the experts" and thinks its a load of crap but isn't that why they are deemed experts?? BECAUSE THEY ARE???!!!
I personally think hubby's reaction is making lo worse as he's panicking about it now.

What do you think ladies and how would (or have you dealt) with regression like this??

Help please!! otherwise I'm gonna lose it with hubby and I'm sick of cleaning my carpet!!!

Claire

Replies

• Oh dear i have no advice but your not alone.. my friend is going through the exact same thing. Her little girl is 26 months and was dry for 3 weeks and all of a sudden she has regressed, nothing has triggered this its just happened and she is so frustrated.

I hope it stops soon.. sorry i have no advice im not potty training yet xx
  • Hi,

Believe me they do regress, sometimes you think you've cracked it then a few weeks or months later they can start wetting again. When my eldest dd was nearly 3 she started pre-school, she'd been dry for 4 months or so. We made a big thing of praising her and telling her what a big girl she was going to school in knickers. After a couple of weeks she started wetting herself in a very similar way to your lo. She would stand next to the potty and do it and even wet herself when sitting on hubby's lap! As you've said shouting doesn't work, the crosser we got the more she did it.

As her speech was good we tried asking her why, she just said she couldn't make it to the potty quick enough, we knew this wasn't the case. We took her to the doctors and the test showed she didn't have a water infection.

After a week of this she finally revealed that her 'best friend' in pre-school was still in nappies and kept wetting herself. I think my dd had started to think why do I have to make an effort when others aren't?

We made her a reward chart, firstly every time she used the potty she had a sticker. After 10 stickers she got a small treat or toy. This worked wonders and we were soon back on track. We found a month or two later she regressed again so the reward chart came back out, this time she had a sticker on it after a dry day. This stopped her really quickly.

I don't know if this would work for you? I know it's easy for me to say now but the calmer you are the less of an issue it will be for your lo. He's done ever so well over the past few months by the sounds of it and i'm sure he'll be back on track soon. Their minds work in strange ways and there's probably a simple reason for the regression, finding the reasons why is the hardest thing. Good luck! xx