Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Help new baby due 7 weeks

Hi all need some advise im pregnant with my second daughter and due 7 weeks tuesday have already gone into labour on friday and they have managed to stop it so could be alot sooner than originally expected, the problem is i have a daughter who will only be 21 months at the babies due date of 29th April so im finding it difficult to get her to understand about the baby coming she is the first grandchild and spoilt rotten by everyone so im scared she is going to feel pushed out, i have tried to explain that she will have a little sister but im not sure she understands as she kisses my belly and loves it then will smack her bottom she is convinced that everyone has a baby in their bellies tho and does the same to everyone she even lifts her own top and says baba she thinks she has one in her belly. Well im really worried that when she arrives it isnt going to go down well, i have said is the baby coming to live with us etc but i really dont think it is sinking in! Ive bought her some presents that i will give her from the baby including some toys and a t-shirt saying im the big sister ive bought her some tops the same as the baby so they have some things the same too. But i really dont know what else i can do? Please any advise would be great for me as im really stuggling to see how i can make my little baby girl still feel as important when the new little baby girl arrives? PLEASE HELP Sophie 32+5 xx
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev119pp___.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/rAlX0/.png

Replies

• I have older boys but when i still bought ds2 a little baby b4 his sister came (he was 26mth then) so he could feed his baby too. I'm sure she'll have dollies but perhaps get one esp 4 when baby comes so she can feed it, change it etc. Also, would she help get nappies out to help you change baby? Ds2 does it almost automatically - we have a basket of changing stuff in the lounge. Sorry - in a rush, will think and write more after sch run!
  • I'm back! When we had ds2, i made sure i had time with ds1 when lo was asleep. We did baking, painting etc or just had a cuddle while watching Cbeebies!
    A friend lent me a book called There's a house inside my mummy which was nice, i read it to the boys this time round too.
    Her behaviour may change slightly or dramatically but just try to make her feel involved and loved a wee bit more than usual - they soon accept that baby's here to stay!
    Good luck - hope lo doesn't appear too soon! x
  • hello my son was 20 months when i had my little girl and i was just as worried as you are but when i had her he was fantastic giving her loads of kisses and cuddles. we still read together , play with his toys etc
  • I've got similar age gap between mine - to be honest, sometimes it is hard and the older one is now brilliant (littlest is 4 months) but we did have some tantrums and attention seeking when I was feeding baby. Also he didn't understand why games had to stop when baby cried and I think was a bit confused by it all. Getting him a baby of his own really helped - we gave it to him before lo was born so he was used to it - we did lots of playing with it and taught him to kiss and cuddle the baby - he then transferred that to Dan when he was born. It is hard work but it is so good for them to have siblings - I think it's been great for mikey to realise he's not the centre of the universe and to learn to amuse himself a little more- he's really matured and chilled out actually! Hope all goes well and the end of your pregnancy goes smoothly now. x
  • Hi Sophie,
    I had a 21 month gap between my first 2. Like you I was worried how my first, Max would be. He was totally spoilt by everyone, especially me!!!!! BUT he was fine, absolutely no problem, infact at first he wasn't really interested, then I think he realised Dylan was here to stay, mmmhhhhh not tooo sure about that and then fantastic. He is a fab big brother to Dylan and now his other brother Joel. Try not to worry about how they'll be, I know that is very easy for me to say and if anyone had said that to me at the time I would have cried and said noone understands but honestly try not to worry to much and enjoy the time with both. Good luck with rest of pregnancy and enjoy this special time with your daughter. Big hug Tracy
  • Thanks ladies your advise is really appreciated im still scared though im thinking of everyway i can to make her feel involved and loved as much when baba gets here as now and im trying to think how im going to fit it all in, i have bought her a baby of her own that has a bottle and nappies with it so she can copy mummy and she did start nursery 4 weeks ago for just 2 mornings a week to get used to other children as she had a real disliking to them that has made her more social and she loves going to "school like a big girl" seems to know when its a tueday or friday morning its just hard not knowing if she actually knows whats happening i might have a look for a book to see if that explains things better, i just hope it doesnt disturb her attitude too much because to be honest she is a saint right now set in her routines, entertains herself sleeps 12 hrs settles herself to sleep etc im just hoping she is this good when baba arrives and that baba is as good as ash was lol i must be dreaming dont think ill get another baby that starts to sleep straight through 12hrs from 3 days old think that was just really good luck shining over me haha Sophie 32+6 xx

• hi sophie we are ttc our number 2 baby and my son is 10.5 months old so if i fall pg say next month he will be....... (thinking!)..... 20 months old? i worry ALOT about him feeling neglected and left out as he is the centre of our world. i worry about how he will feel when im feeding a new baby etc. but he is great with other peoples babies and kisses ALL babies with an aaahhhh sound bless! i am just hoping that as he is a pleasant little boy (most of the time!) he will just adjust? i would imagine that it would be harder with an older child? but then they would at least understand whereas joseph is too little really. so all in all i have absolutely no words of wisdom as i feel exactly the same as you!!! xx
  • Hi Hayleys1 thanks its nice to know someone else feels the same and good luck ttc i was very lucky and got pregnant the day of ashleigh's 1st birthday party after only 1 other month of trying well saying that i didnt work anything out the first month ie when i was ovulating then the next month i worked it out and got pregnant first time im really happy about it but am so worried how im going to cope at the same time but i think everyone feels the same no matter what the age difference is good luck lots of baby dust for u Sophie 32+6 xx
  • hi sophie well done falling pg so quick but on the flip side ypu didnt get much time to prepare and get used to ttc again did you? i can totally understand as i am still worried about it although i would love to be pg and i do want a sibling for joseph i do worry. i cant work out ov as my cycles are all over the place 52 days last time and am now on day 32 with no BFP pr ov arrrggghhh! but every month that passes i get more used to the idea. i agree that age gap means nothing its a normal worry but its harder to explain to baby rather than an older child i feel. good luck to you and keep me posted on how it all goes hun maybe you will have some words of wisdom should my time come!! x
  • Im sure ur time will come soon i didnt really have time to adjust to the idea we did say we would start trying and expected it to take a good six months but it was obviously meant to be im a great believer that if things are intended to be they will happen and so i think it was meant to be that i have my children so close together and that they both be girls im very sure it will happen for u when its meant to be and ill keep u in mind when things r going wrong (to warn u) haha with those words of wisdom Sophie 33wks xx

• p.s your little boy is a stunner he will break some hearts when he is older lol xx
  • thank he gets cuter by the day! lol! i cant wait to do it again good luck, ps are you scared of labour again?! x
  • oh yes defo more scared this time than last i think knowing how much it hurts makes it worse but im just thinking of my beautiful baby when she arrives xx
  • aaah yes you right but still i will be scared shitless!!! x
  • hi. when i had my 2nd baby my eldest was 18 months and i worried all the time about loving it as much as i loved my first and about the attention it would miss out on when baby came, but my mum was right as she said that your love grows automatically and you will settle in to a routine quickly. when my 2d arrived thomas wasn't really bothered, he just carried on as normal, an di found it ok, when baby slept i would make a pint of doing something with thoamd on a one to one so he didn't miss out on any attention, and when i was breastfeeding, thomas would come and sit next to me and we would read a story together. it is always a bit rocky at the start but you soon get a routine going.
    i now have 5 children, and have to juggle individual time together around still so they don't miss out on any attention. my eldest is nearly 9 and my youngest is 9 months.xxx
  • Oh god sounds like you have your hands full lol im stopping at the 2 for now although wont tell the Oh yet im getting broody for a boy lol fancy saying that when im only 6 weeks off fom having a new baba anyway must be mad haha Sophie 33+5 xx

• hi there, my little one was 19 months when no 2 arrived, he's now 8 weeks old and Daisy loves him, similar situation being 1st grandchild etc.. i did the present and big sister t shirt which she loves wearing.Also got her for christmas a baby boy doll and cot and pushchair so she could practice with her baby before he arrived.I think it helped that i didn't have to stay in hospital so Daisy 1st met him at home, in fact she didn't realise we had gone as happened at night. once my tummy had gone she stopped lifting my t shirt up (and everyone elses) . we have had a few tantrums but i think that may just be her age. everyone who visited brought Daisy a present too and made a fuss of her 1st and she likes helping to change him and feed him and pass things. get your lo involved as much as poss and take advantage of that sleepy 1st phase for lots of time together
    good luck!!! its like a juggling act but i think they'll be really close when they're older
  • Thanks alot lisalisa i really hope it goes that well for me i may suggest to visitors that they fuss over Ashleigh before going to the baby think that may help good luck to me and u congratulations on your new lo Sophie 34+5 xx

• Hiya
    Do you know anyone with a small baby that you could take your lo to see? My friend has 2 lo's age 18 months and 3 years old and when the 18 month old saw his mum holding my lo at first he was highly unimpressed with the baby and with his mums attention not being on him but after seeing his mum holding a baby a few times he's not so bothered now - probably a good thing really as she's expecting her third!
  • Hi yeah my cousin had a baby at the end of feb and Ashleigh is bessotted im going to have to string our from the ceiling lol as she doesnt want to leave him alone seems to think he is her doll or something he was sleeping in the travel cot at my aunts and she kept trying to climb in waqsnt fussed i had hold of him but did keep trying to take him off me im going to take her to see him a few more times before ours arrives and im just hoping the novelty will wear off and that she will just want to help etc x