Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

15 month old-picky eater! its this weird???

my son is being funny lately he wont eat finger foods unless they are really small bits, ie i cant make a cheese sandwhich and cut into fingers he just throws it and looks at it! if i make it into small squares he may eat but usually i have to make so small like the size of a cube of a choclate bar! he can eat bigger bits i have seen him do it its funny? and with self feeding he wont eat from plate/bowl of trey,only of trey itself!!!! what am i doing wrong.
at lunch time he wont eat in highchair i usually hand him bitys whils his playing as he wont eat.

Replies

• Options
    try not to worry...my 5 yr old, yes i said 5 yr old will not eat sandwiches unless i cut them into bite sized squares!!! my 19mth old normally jus eats of her high chair tray as if i give her a plate she jus tips it of the plate and onto the tray, however this has improved over the last few weeks so maybe jus keep perservering with it until he understands. xxx
  • Options
    They are funny wee things aren't they.
    Lo will refuse to eat a sandwich unless it's a big bit (1/4 slize triandgle at least) so he can get a hold of it with both hands. Used to eat it in little cubes but now refuses.

Will eat pasta spirals and not any other form of pasta.

As long as he eats it I try not to worry about these little quirks. Sure he will grow out of it, at least I hope he will or I'll never eat spaghetti again !! S x
  • Options
    My LO is the same as yours, mrskc! (she's 16 months). Has to be little bite-sized pieces. Otherwise she just looks at it, gives it a lick and puts it back down again.

Having said that she is getting better with eg sticks of cheese and cucumber, but that has only been in the last month or so. I mostly give her bite-sized pieces but usually put down some big chunks too so she can get used to the idea. She does tend to shovel too much in and then choke, though.

How many teeth does your LO have, could it be that? Lily only has 5 and she's really not very sure what to do with them yet! :lol:
  • Options
    it could be the chocking that puts him of too! my son has 12 teeth! and more coming at mo! back ones and two just through at front.
    he can eat big bits and some things like toast and biscuits he eats big bits and bites off and other things unless tiny just looks overwhelmed! amybe it is because he has gagged a few times its put him of but mainly i think with him its impatience. he wonbt take a spoon to try eating from just bashes it! and if i let him eat with his fingers from bowl he throws it, he will eat of a trey and even then if he can run around( trey on his bumbo) the highcahir he just creates in after while.