Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

toddler 2 and five months old and not talking

Hi everyone
My son who is 2 and five months old is not talking as other toddlers his age do.He can understand english and romanian ,as we are romanian ,but he is talking his own language,which we do not understand.He can say some words in english some in romanian but most of the time I do not know what is he saying.He is a chaty boy,talking on the phone,his language,asking questions in his language.Should I be worried about it?Any advice please.Thank you.

[Modified by: lumi on 27 December 2008 13:52:59 ]

Replies

• Options
    my son is also bi-lingual (thai & english) he is 19 months & is exactly the same. Talks loads but only in his own language. He can say words when prompted (but only if he feels like it, the other day I pointed & said chair & he repeated but wouldn't do it more than the once!!) he even has whole conversations & tells people off in his langauge but no one knows what he is saying.

I figured being a 2 language family it would take him a bit longer to process but once he had he would be talking both languages simultaneously.

If you are worried though then there is no referral process for speech therapy, just find out where your local one is & give them a call, it wont hurt for them to assess him & also to put your mind a rest.
  • Options
    Hi there. I work as a speech and language therapist and as Beebee says, I reckon it would be a good idea to call your local speech and language therapy clinic for advice and to ask whether they feel a referral is appropriate. If he was delayed in only English then the problem might be only in acquiring his second language, but the fact that he is delayed in both suggests more a generalised difficulty. Hope you get the help you need for him. X