Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

1 year old - any tips to get her to sleep later?!

Hi ladies

Maiya is 1 next week so not sure if she strictly qualifies as a toddler - although she is just starting to walk on her own!!

Anyway she has alwasy slept from approx 6.45pm to around 6am. I try to get her to have a nap in the morning - usually by 8am as she's tired and then she has between 1-2 hours at lunch time. The 2 days she is in nusery she sometimes doesn't nap at all!! won't go in the cot at nursery!!

for the past month she has been waking at about 4am. then resettling for an hour but then really wanting to get up and crying non stop. she eats well and has 8 ounces of bedtime milk. we use blackout blinds. Can anyone give me some tips to try and get her to sleep until at least 6am again! Do you think we need to start putting her to bed later (she's had pretty much the same routine since 5-6 months old).

any help would be much appreciated. thanks image

Replies

• oooohh yes let me help!! I had the exact same thing with Shea when he was about that age, would wake anytime between 4 and 5 and wanted to get up and play!!

we hadn't changed his routine, had a black out blind too, we tried putting him to bed later but it made no difference and I was at my wits end with working too.....so I went and saw an hv at weighing clinic and she gave me some wonderful advice..

She said that he probably first woke early when he had a cold or something (which he did) and I got him up that morning, he then started to wake up out of habit and of course mummy would get him up so he began to think it was a reasonable time to get up....so we had to retrain him!!
    It was a nightmare couple of mornings but I would go in, dimmer light on low, lay him back down and say not time to get up yet, back to bed and walk out. he did scream blue murder from 5-6 for a couple of mornings but then thats all it took and he was sleeping til 6 / 6.30am. Its just a case of deciding what time you think is appropriate to get up and making lo understand that she has to stay in bed until that time.

hope this helps and let us know how you get on if you give it a try
  • Lynda, how many hrs does your lo during the day and what tiems are they?
    . My lo used to have a nap in the morning and 2 hrs in the afternoon. Before she turned 1, she changed to only having 1 nap in ther afternoon. It is earlier than it used to be, she goes down round about 1ish and will sleep through to 330-4pm. Shen then goes down for the night at 730-8pm and sleeps to 730am.

[Modified by: Joey08 on August 11, 2009 02:37 PM]

• forgot to say that we also cut him down to 1 2hour nap a day instead of 2 naps a day but he would still be awake at 4am!!
    we also did try and put him to bed later but it made no difference either
  • My little girl started randomly doing this around the age of 1.
    The bad news is that nothing we did made any difference, the good news is it only lasted a few weeks then suddenly she went back to waking at her usual time (6:30).
    I have absolutely no idea why this happened so i can't share any pearls of wisdom but i thought i'd let you know we had a similar problem.
    Good luck x
  • Thanks ladies.

Think mummy is going to have to give some tough love. I think you might be right claire a belle. Maiya was poorly about a month or so ago so of course I went straight in when she cried and we'd often be up in the early hours. Strangely at nursery yesterday she managed a 1 hour nap (in the buggy not cot!) and then slept 6.45pm through to 5.30am this morning. she stirred at 4am and cried out but when back to sleep. I think i'll try going in to her when she wakes early and gently make it clear that it's not getting up time! I think it might take more than a few morning with her as she's what's called a very "spirited" baby!! Even the ladies at the nursery say she's very strong willed! She used to fight ALL sleeping like the devil until about 6.5/7 months!! Still hopefully with a bit of encouragement she'll get the message and give me until 6-6.30am!!

Typical she has her 1 year jabs next tuesday and no doubt that'll throw everything out again. That and the dreaded teething!! Still at least she does sleep so I suppose shouldn't complain too much. Will let you know how I get on!!

Thanks again - is nice to know that others have experienced this too image
  • Hi ladies

Hope you and LOs are all well. Just thought i'd update you on Maiya's sleeping. I think this just goes to show that our little ones will do just as they please! bed time is 6.45 and has lunchtime nap. Only thing i added was attaching a dummy clip to her grobag. Since then has slept 6.45 to 6.30am (had to wake her up this morning). Has only been 5 days but is still lovely to catch up on some sleep. May just have been a case of her losing dummy and disturbing her! i know we'll suffer later for using the dummy but for now am enjoying the 12 hours of bliss each night!!

xx