Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Calpol & ibuprofen, how do you take the two ?

The doctor said this morning that Charlotte has tonsilitus and said to take calpol and ibuprofen but I realised after leaving the docs she didnt tell me how to mix them ?

Do I give her ibuprofen, then 4 hours later calpol and then 4 hours later ibuprofen and so on ??

Or do I give them both at the same time ?

Or do I give one then the other half hour later ?

My poor baby a tummy bug and tonsilitus, the vomiting must be extra painful for her !! :cry:

Replies

• ahh poor charlotte, I hope she's on the mend soon!!

You can give a dose of each together at the same time, its fine, or you can alternate if you'd prefer not to give her both but as the doc said they are perfectly save having the two together as the calpol will act as the pain relief and the ibuprofen will act as anti inflammatory

xx
  • I've been told in the past by a doc to give them every 2 hours, so ibuprofen, then 2 hrs later calpol....Just to keep them constantly topped up and out of any pain.

Hope she gets better soon, it's awful to see them poorly isn't it xxx

Laura x
  • we give calpol then 2 hours later the ibuprofen as it says to give every 4 hours or somthing like that which keeps tem topped up like laura and Lucy has mentioned x
  • I've been told (both for me and for lo) that you can have one and then the other after 2 hours, and then 2 hours later the first one alternating like that - of course without increasing the max dose in 24 hours
  • Calpol should be given 6 hours apart and a maximum of 4 does in 24 hours and nurofen should be given 8 hours apart with a maximum of 3 does in 24 hours.  There will be a point in the day that the two are given at the same time following the above 6 & 8 hr rules repectively, if you split the two types of medication by two hours.

• Calprofen is now available - so much easier to give the correct dosage.