Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Routine as a baby

Hi I hope you don't mind me g/c from BIJ and Baby. :\) my lo is 10 weeks old. I feed on demand, and am happy for him to get into his own routine with feeding. At nighttime, I have been trying to get him to self settle. I put him in his crib, go back and resettle when he cries. This is hit and miss, last night he screamed and screamed, so ended up cuddling him to sleep. I'm sure some will say routine is really important for the baby. But as I say James seems to make his own. Is there anyone who was flexible and went with the flow, and your baby is now a happy toddler, who goes to bed well etc.? Thanks. xx mithical and James 10 weeks 3 days.

Replies

• hi honey, congrats on your baby and hope your loving being a mum!

Its hard with new borns but we decided to get our son into a routine at around 8 weeks, where he would have his bath at a certain time, then milk cuddle and to bed at 7pm. However this didn't make him sleep through so would continue to feed every four - six hours. I then had to give up bf at 12weeks and went onto bottle so it was easier to get a routine sorted with bottle feeds but he still continued to wake during the night until around 9 /12 months!!!

but he would always have the same routine during the day and bedtime as he thrived on this and most babies do. They seem to be more content with a daily routine and I also thought it was important for a structured bedtime as its then very hard to get them into a bedtime routine once they get older.
    She is now 2 1/2 and still goes to bed at 7pm each evening and sleep through to 6ish in the morning. He stayed at his nana's sat night and we said he could have a late night with her but come 7.30pm he asked if he could go to bed!!!!

my advice would be go for whats right with you and fits in with your day and your routine. No one is right or wrong but I found routine essential especially when I went back to work
    xx
  • Congratulations with your LO!

It takes a few months to get into a routine so don't put too much pressure on yourself. I can't remember when I can say we had a routine with our dd but it did take a few months. It seemed like everything just fell into place and I could plan outings again!

Def. the first months were dd's routine but I did small things like make a routine for myself - feed every 2.5 hours (she was small 5lbs), diaper change, cuddle, bed - that worked for us and eventually she did settle herself to sleep. If he doesn't do it right away, it's OK to go in and give him a few cuddles. At 10 weeks they are still so little so don't give up, there's loads of time.

Have you tried white noise or some music in his room?

• i didnt bother with a routine until about 12 weeks or so, they both just went to bed when i went to bed.
    from about 12 weeks i started to give them bed times of about 8pm.
    phoebe my eldest responded really well to this and settled easily and regularly slept through the night almost straight away.
    freya on the other hand was a terrible sleeper! they were both bf then put to bed, they would both normaly fall asleep feeding but the difference was if phoebe woke when i put her down she would settle herself back to sleep, but maddam freya would not!
    so if she woke when i put her down i would have to pick her up and either feed or cuddle her back to sleep as leaving her to cry NEVER worked on her!
    any way she just continued to be awful and spent most nights in our bed until she was about 16 months when i decided enough was enough and instead of bring her into our bed i went and sat by her cot until she went back to sleep, which meant i spent several nights camped on the girls bedroom floor! but any way from about 19 months she slept through reliably, woohoo!!!!

so now i have rambled on for ages my point really was that they will be how they will be, i did the same with both my girls and one was a good sleeper and one wasnt.
    dont worry about it too much 1o weeks is still teeny tiny just relax and enjoy your little boy, things will fall into place as you go on.

xxxx
  • Thanks for your replies. He has a dream show, so we don't use white noise. As I said he's hit and miss, he settled on his own last night, with neither of us having to go in at all! xx