Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

VERY scary night

Last night we had to call an ambulance out for Charlotte. Some of you may know we've been slightly concerned about her this last few days cos of a temp, not eating and generally being unwell.

Last night put her to bed at 7pm, slightly earlier than usual like the previous 2 nights and just like those nights she went straight to sleep, which is unlike her. At 9.15 she woke up screaming with a high pitched cry which I know is bad for her so I rushed upstairs and picked her up. She couldn't breathe properly and was choking and trying to cough up what sounded like lots of phlegm. After about 20 mins she was still really bad so OH called for an ambulance. A rapid response paramedic turned up 1st and saw to her then called for an ambulance to take her to hospital. In the meantime she had calmed down slightly but was still very upset.

We went in the amblance, by this time I was feeling quite ill and I vomited in the back of the ambulance. Fortunately ambulance tech passed me a cardboard bowl to vomit in.

Got to hospital and kids dept of A&E. Had a 3 hours wait when we were finally seen by the doc. She was much better in herself by this time so we all felt like a fraud but he still gave her a good going over. She has lost a bit of weight and he said her ear and throat were quite inflamed but couldn't see any pus. He didn't want to give her anti-biotics (I didn't anyway) so advised to give her Calpol/Ibuprofem alternately but to bring her straight back if we are still concerened.

So we finally got home just before 2am. Put Charlotte straight to bed. She had been sooo good whilst waiting and everyone in the waiting room was cooing over her! We moaned more than she did about waiting. I was so proud of her. I couldn't sleep for ages as kept checking her every 5 mins. We all got up at 10am and she has had some brekkie so that's good. She's sat next to me now on the sofa watching CBeebies.

I didn't realise how much I actually loved my little girl until last night. She means the absolute world to me and I thought something terrible was about to happen. I'm so glad and fortunate everything is ok, albeit for a poorly lo. Going to give her so much tlc today she wont know what's hit her.

Sorry for going on, still feeling a bit spaced out and knackered.

Hayley xxx

Replies

• hi honey, glad she's better this morning. I know what you mean, we had to rush Shea to A&E once and it scared the life out of me, Don't know what i'd do without my gorgeous little boy!
    and I too felt a complete fraud as he had a tempf 39 and was lethargic and limp until we sat in A& E when he "woke up" and started to smile and coo at everyone, then got took through to bed and he started jumping and shouting on the bed! How embarrasing. but they are very good with babies and know how quickly they can perk up but its best to be safe than sorry where lo's are concerned.

You're a good mummy for worrying - lots of cuddles today me thinks
    xxxx
  • Oh that must have been awful for you all, so glad to hear she seems much better today, phew!

tlc sounds like a fab plan, think mummy could do with some to though!x

• That does sound like a very scary experience. Glad to hear all is well now. Hugs & kisses to Charlotte. Can't blame you for wanting to give her lots of TLC!
    Take care.
  • How awful for you. So glad she seems to be on the mend though. hugs xxxxx
  • Poor Charlotte. Glad she is feeling better now. She is so good. Get yourself some rest and don't overdo it.
  • She's still quite grizzly but all in all a lot better and slept thru last night. Thanks for your messages xx

Taking her to be weighed later and to speak to my hv and hopefully be able to see the doc too.