Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

sharing

How do you teach a 2 year old to share ?

My daughter is terrible at the moment, everything is hers, if a child picks up anything its hers, she wont want to play with it till another child does & she is hysterical that she cant have it and they are playing with it. This happens anywhere there is children, not neccesarliy just at home its getting quite embarrasing when she is bullying other children and i would like to nip it in the bud early.

Any idea's ?

Replies

• If thats a picture of your lo she looks like butter wouldnt melt in her mouth!!

Amy is turning 2 next week & has been going through a stage where eveything belongs to someone & if anyone looks at anything of hers she say "Its mine"

It wasnt that she had even got to the stage of not sharing but we could see it coming so we put a section on her reward chart for sharing which seems to be working well. She'll still say that things are hers but if we say can her wee friends play with them she'll say yes & even take the toy over to them.

Hilary x
  • thanks hillary, yes she looks like a little angel, till she throws a tantrum - he he

Might have to get a reward chart, think its a good idea, prob will also help in the potty training as will have to start that soon, want her out of nappies before the next one comes along in april.

Did you make your chart or can you buy them ?
  • Why don't you try some simple 'turn-taking' games. This teaches the idea of waiting for others and sharing games. Something as simple as knocking down a skittle with a ball could be used. You could try it with just the two of you to start with before getting another child to join in. After your daughter knocks the skittle down, she should wait while you have your turn. Give lots of praise for waiting and sharing while you are having your turn. It's easy to use lots of other games and toys to further develop this idea. for example, a simple inset puzzle could be used with her waiting for another child to have his/her turn before getting a turn herself. At first you'll have to keep a watchful eye over proceedings but hopefully she'll learn to do this when you're not watching. Not only will this help her attention and sharing skills, she'll also become a popular friend.
  • Coxley,

I started off just making my reward chart but I recently bought a magnetic one from Next which is great coz you can change the activities they get rewards for when you need to. It even helps us stop atantrum before it gets started. All we have to say is you'll not get a star if you do that!

The reward chart has def been a great help to us potty training coz I was like you & wanted Amy out of nappies before our 2nd baby arrives in nov. Coz she had the idea of how the reward chart works it was a great incentive for her potty training too.

You should try what campbelly says too. We would have done that too & if there was an older child who could join in that understands sharing it would set a good example to your little girl.

I tried the skittles with Amy & her wee friend that was the same age as her & they got the bit about taking it in turns with the ball but it was so funny coz one would throw the ball & the other stood by the skittles & knocked them down with their hands when the other one threw & then they swapped over. All we could do was laugh & they had agreat time with their own wee interpretation of the game.

They can be so funny sometimes cant they?

Good Luck

Hilary x

[Modified by: hilaryc on October 05, 2007 03:22 PM]
  • I keep thinking once my eldest starts playgroup in Jan he will have to learn to share. He refuses to let lo play with any of his toys a fav rattling telephone is lightweight and the first one we bought him and that he could hold. Major tantrums if lo has a hold of that. We have started giving him it for five mins then lo for five mins. I am not worried I have faith that once he is three he will understand sharing and lo will not know any different other than sharing, know what you mean about how embarrassing it can be though.
    Saz