Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Started waking early, tips needed

Up until 3 weeks ago Spence was consistently and reliably sleeping until at least 7:15am. I felt so lucky as I could face each day feeling fresh and ready to go.

For the last 3 weeks Spence has started stirring anytime from 5:30am. We haven't changed his bedtime or daytime routine; he doesn't wake during the night; I give him as much food as he'll eat during the day and he's not interested in brekkie when he wakes so he's not hungry; his nappy hasn't always leaked and he hasn't pooed; I don't have noisy neighbours; his room is a constant 18deg so he's not cold; I don't rush into him as soon as he wakes, I leave him chatting for up to 1 hour which I think is plenty of time to settle himself back to sleep.

I'm absolutely out of ideas and I'm so tired. My hubby is working away so it's just me. I'm willing to try pretty much anything so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Liz x

Replies

• Im not sure I can help,but I can throw afew suggestions at you lol.
    How old is Spencer?
    Ben is 18mths and afew weeks back he just started to do this,I did all the things you did and eventually he just went back to sleeping to his usual 8.30am.
    So,maybe its a phrase and he will settle himself back into his usual routine.
    Could you maybe try blackout blinds?is the daylight maybe waking him up?Ben sleeps better and for longer now since i put black out blinds in his room.
    Get one of those alarm clocks(if hes old enough to understand)that show the bunny(or whatever)alseep and awake,explain when bunny wakes its time to get up!Hmmmm maybe that wont be helpful as yet,just a suggestion!
    I do think you are doing all the right things,so maybe riding it out is all you can do,like I said,Ben was the same for a little while,he also was more difficult to settle to sleep,this lasted a couple of weeks or so and then he went back to normal,was very odd as nothing had changed in his or my routine.
    Hope you get some helpful hints x
  • Thanks. Spence is 18.5 months so maybe he is just going through a phase of early-waking like your Ben did. I'll try and ride it out with the hope that he'll go back to his previous ways.
    I like the idea of the "alarm clock" but I'm not sure he'll understand at the moment. I'll try that when I move him into a big-boy-bed.
  • My lo is 20 mnths and goes through this every now and then. He is still in his cot so, to be honest, as long as we're happy his warm etc we leave him to it. You can hear him chatting and singing and, if that doesn't turn into shouting and crying, it does him no harm. The big advantage is you get some sleep and he learns that there is a time to get out of bed and it isn't 6.30!!!!
  • Well, we seem to be on the road to recovery!
    Yesterday Spence woke at 6:55am and today it was 7:05am.

Trouble is that yesterday he absolutely refused a nap, believe me I left him in his cot for over an hour but he worked himself up so much that he was a complete state. He's in his cot now but he's moving around and chatting.

Oh well, as they say... every silver lining has it's cloud!
  • hi, glad it just seems to be just a phase as my lo is 17months and has been waking at 5 / 5.30am for the past 4 months or so now, nothing has changed and i've tried everything but he just seems to want to wake at that time!!
    So I've just resigned myself to the fact thats the time we get up now!! I have to be in work by 8.30 anyhow so would normally get up about 6.30 but now its an 1hr - 1 1/2hours earlier.........it just means I need to be in bed by 9 everynight!

Not great for a social life tho image
  • Hello.

I'm glad I have come across this post as my lo is doing this. My lo did this a few back but she sorted herself out. She has started doing this again between 4 and 5 in the morning. She unfortunatly doesn't just chatter she crys and wants to get up. But she is then back in bed by 9 in the morning cocking up her whole day time routine. She used to wake between 7 - 8 in the morning,

Her room is always between 18- 20decrees so she isn't hot or cold.
    She will have breakfast and a bottle if I give it to her but she will quite happly go up 2 hours hours before having it,
    She refuses a drink
    She has black out blinds in room
    She eats well during the day.
    I haven't changed any routine of bedtimes/nap times.

I guess I have to hope she will sort herself out again and my day doesn't start too early every day, LoL. Freya is 16 months old.

Kerry, Freya and Pink Bump
    X X X