Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

milk intolarance at 23 months

Hi all, my daughter has had diarrhea for over a month, for a week of this she had sickness aswell and was very ill and then that bug went but she still had diarrhea, and has also had a rash on her belly and chest on and off too. This week she has been in pain again with the diarrhea so yesterday i took her to the doctor and he says it sounds as though she has in tolarance to milk, they have taken a sample for testing (not nice!) and prescribed her soya milk but other than he didn't really give me any other information about it. I know that when she has a drink of milk or has milk on her cereal it will have to be soya milk but what about other things that have milk in them like butter or chocolate, does she need to have soya butter or something. I really don't have a clue about this as she has never had a problem with milk before and as she is almost 2 i didn't think she would get this. Anyone know any other information about this? Obviously this hasn't actually been confirmed yet as i am waiting for the results from hospital but doctor told me not to give her milk for a few days to see if the symtoms stop.
http://b2.lilypie.com/j2jmp1/.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/d9vlp1/.png

P.S- I have posted in the pregnancy forum about feeling baby move in second pregnancy, so any 2nd, 3rd etc time mums could you please have a look and tell me what you think Thanks xxxx

Replies

• robyn was diagnosed with lactose and milk protein intolerance at 16 months (now 29months) after i took her to doctor, i was fed up with people telling me her poor growth weight and diarheoa was a phase, this included several health visitors!!!!!!!
    she didn't take to soya milk and there are other alternatives especially as your lo is over 1. there is rice milk, goats milk (my lo has it and it confuses paedtrition as it still contains some lactose but she is ok with it) there's also lacto-free cows milk, you may have seen it advertised on tv. think it's found in UHT section in supermarket.
    it's hard eliminating all lactose containing foods, especially when you'd think something like fish fingers are ok, only to find out there not!
    with robyn we have found that she can have a little bit each day, for example she could have a slice of pizza but then i wouldn't give her anything else containing lactose for rest of day.
    she is also on fortini milk which the dietitian prescribed as she hadn't gained any weight since she was 7 months old!!!! she has now caught up but only in last 2 months.
    our GP reffered her to a paedtrician and a dietician, it's worth pushing for if your GP hasn't, reason being paeds are very upto date on childs health and can usually relate to what you are trying to get across about your childs problem.
    we also had the problem that in our toddlers eyes all food had made her ill, she stopped eating and would only drink milk. we now have her back doen t 600mls milk and breakfast and dinner.