Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When to start using duvet and pillow?

When did you give your lo a duvet and pillow. My ds is 18 months and I still use blankets but im sure for most of the night he doesnt have anything covering him cause he moves about the cot so much. He never wakes up so he cant be cold. I miss his grow bags but he is too big for them now.
xx

Replies

• Lucas actually uses his pillow more than his duvet! His bed is perminantly made with him sleping on top of the covers with his head on the pillow (or hugging it lol)! i give him a blanket but everytime I go in he has kicked it off again. He too doesn't wake up. Lucas is 14 months so it wouldn't hurt to give him a duvet, he might not use it much tho!
  • We have a pillow (adult size but non feather and quite flat) and a duvet (baby quilts) now and he seems fine (17mth) I just decided he was in Our bed quite a lot and obviously we use both and he was coping with them no problem. It started when he had a cold and needed propping up. If you have any fear about using pillow though just pop it under the bottom sheet, have to say I never have as the adult size goes from edge to edge if mattress
  • I put a duvet and pillow on Charlotte's cotbed only yesterday. However, she is still sleeping on the top in her sleeping bag. I just want to get her used to it first before i put her in. Also it was a bit warm last night in her room to go under a duvet.
  • My David was 12 months when he went in to his 'big boy bed' and at the same time i gave him a duvet and a pilliow, both adult ones, and hes never looked back. he has a thcker duvet for the winter and a thin one for summer, and he stil managed to kick it off if he didnt want it

xx
  • Cole has had a pillow for a couple of months - its a proper toddler pillow but he only has a fancy one cause it was a fiver at the baby show! lol! We are planning on hunting for a duvet for him as he's getting too hot in his 2.5 tog sleeping bag (his room gets very hot when its sunny) so he's just been having a blanket over him so we figured it'd be cheaper in the long run to just buy duvets that'd last him till he's out of the cot bed.

• Kara has had a pillow from 15 months and has both a adult duvet and a cot one although she is in a double bed from 15 months. She never keeps the duvet on her as she hates being covered. I could never use sleeping bags as she hated not having her feet free, She could also wake up in the morning off her pillow. Kara has 2 comfort blankets and she goes to bed with the two of them so at some point in the night they could end up covering her as she hugs them.