Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Talking

My lo is almost 17 months now and doesnt really say anything. She does constantly babble and baba all day long but no actuall words. Now and again she says mum though. How old should she be before she can say words. My friends have children about the same age and they can all say things like "no" and their name and also say when they want something to eat. Should i be worried.

Replies

• all children start talking at different ages my daughter is 2 and she still prefers to babble but i know she can talk because i have heard her but she likes her own little way of saying things.
  • My mates little girl didn't really say much of anything & would never ask for anything, just point or say one word (of her own making) until she turned 3 & started nursery. Within weeks she was talking in fluid full sentances & her vocab was immmense so she had been absorbing but just wasn't ready to speak yet. Have you spoken to your hv? Could it be possible she has some hearing problems that aren't discovered yet that could cause delay?

If you are that worried then get her hearing checked to rule it other but otherwise imo it is nothing to worry about cause as she is babbling she can't be mute.
  • Hi
    My lo is 20 months and its only in the last month that he has started to say a couple of recognisable words. He says Mam, Dad and bye that other people can understand and then he says a whole host of other things that only we can understand. But since he started he seems to be coming on in leaps and bounds every day.
    I'm sure in a couple of weeks I'm going to be telling him to shut up!! LOL
    xx
  • Hi there. I'm a paediatric speech and language therapist so can hopefully be helpful. General guidelines are single words between 1 - 1 and a half years, and joining two words by two years. I would get children referred to me at two years if they didn't have recognisable words. Yes, it is true that some children don't speak until later and go on to have no problems at all but it is also true that language delay can be the first indicator of a number of difficulties. I would advise that you go with your instincts and don't listen to others. Mummies have a sixth sense about these things. If you are worried then call your local speech and language therapy service - even if you just want advice. There is no need to go through your HV or GP. We run an open referral service. If you feel that your little girl is doing fine, then relax and leave it for a few months. If you were concerned about her hearing, or if you are worried about her comprehension of language, or if you feel she has regressed in her development then these would be more worrying. I hope everything goes well for you both. XX