Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

MIL feeding my little boy rubbish

Hello

Im so fed up with what my MIL is giving Reece to eat, it really is nothing but crap. She has him 3 days a week for 5 hours so gives him lunch, and I have recently found out that she is giving him a cup a soups and pot noodles. She has also given him chip shop chips 4 times in 8 days, and gives him loads of crisps and chocolate. She denies the the crisps and chocolate but I know she does because he was shouting choc choc in the supermarket and I dont give him any and when I opened his jacket last week a load of frazzles fell out. She has not got a clue about nutrition, nearly everything she eats is done in her deep fat frier, from the chip shop or a microwave meal. She doesnt cook and claims not to know how to switch the oven on. Even if she gives him porridge for breakfast its microwave stuff. I cant have it out with her as I am so hormonal at the moment (pregnant) I know I will cry or shout, and his dad is crap at these things. Reece loves the salad bar at morrisons so I have decided one morning a week to get one before I drop him off so its just two lunches that she is giving him. I stuffed one full of salad this morning and put some cous cous and pasta on top, and when I gave it to her she said oh I will look forward to sharing that with him. now Im thinking is she eating it and giving Reece something else? Its such a shame because he is only 21 months and is a brilliant eater but she is going to have him ruined. There is plenty of time for him to get faddy when he goes to school. I cant wait to go on mat leave so I have full control over what he is having again. Sorry, moan over, I feel a bot better for getting it off my chest a bit! x

Replies

• i really know where you are coming from my mil fill my daughter with junk she was always agood eater before my mil started having her once a week she used to eat her veg and salad now she will not go near it.
    even when i am at her house she still trys to sneak food past me but i am getting better at catching her.
    even when she comes to ours its always round dinner time and brings my daughter takeaway food from one of the big chains so i always make sure she is fed before she comes and i just chuck the junk away im really trying to get my daughter to eat her veg and salad again but its hard i really wish mil would listen to what we say they are our children not there's.
    what i would surgest is to sit her down and have a nice talk with her but make sure you husband is there so he can calm you down if your hormones start going mental.
    i hope you get it sorted hun i really do i wish i has said done something sooner then maybe my daughter would still eat her veg and salad.
    good luck.

becki.xx
  • i really know where you are coming from my mil fill my daughter with junk she was always agood eater before my mil started having her once a week she used to eat her veg and salad now she will not go near it.
    even when i am at her house she still trys to sneak food past me but i am getting better at catching her.
    even when she comes to ours its always round dinner time and brings my daughter takeaway food from one of the big chains so i always make sure she is fed before she comes and i just chuck the junk away im really trying to get my daughter to eat her veg and salad again but its hard i really wish mil would listen to what we say they are our children not there's.
    what i would surgest is to sit her down and have a nice talk with her but make sure you husband is there so he can calm you down if your hormones start going mental.
    i hope you get it sorted hun i really do i wish i has said done something sooner then maybe my daughter would still eat her veg and salad.
    good luck.

becki.xx
  • Aw bless you- im not surprised you're so angry! Apart from making his lunch before you drop him off, or making a big batch of soup at the weekend quite a thick one then freezing it and leaving it at her house so Reece can have that rather then eating crap I dont know what else to suggest!

My mil/fil are very good except for one occasion when they gave him fish and chips and he threw it all back up! Thankgod i wasnt there cos i would have been so angry, i know it wont happen again cos they felt so bad that he was sick.

Try not to get too upset, think about your bump xxx xxx xxx
  • Thank you ladies. I dont know what it is about this pregnancy that is making me unable to deal with things like an adult!! She is having a new kitchen put in soon, so I am going to start sending packed lunches and if she says I dont need to I will say that I enjoy doing it. A bit of a wimps way out but I think its the safest way of dealing with it at the moment. Thanks again xx
  • ......i THINK THIS IS AN MIL THING!!!..........

they all seem the bloody same!! Apparantley Shea didn't want his fish pie I sent round the other day (it is one of his favourites so don't know why) so she gave him wotsits and smarties to his dinner

very bloody nutricious!!! NOT!!!
  • MIL's are a nightmare and unfotunatly mine had to learn the hard way.
    when I had my first ds she would give us sooooo many bags of choccy, sweets and when we went round she would give him the whole biscuit tin, without checking with me first.As time went on he learnt that thats what he always got from her and wanted nothing else. no amount of "suggestions" we gave her would make her stop. Once my second child was born I had a massive go because she tried to give my 8 week old a bit of cream off a boozy cake I was like WHAT THE FUXX ARE YOU DOING!!!!!
    it ended in tears and she didnt see the kids for over a month. When she finally realised the problem she came round armed with a bag of apples and fruit juice!!!!!!
    And thats what she brings even now 7 years later. And she always checks before offering anything to the kids.
    It was hard at the time but she just wouldnt listen as she thought she new best.
    This may sound harsh but tell her straight whats bothering you, she will soon realise especially if you point out that you bet she didnt let her MIL interfere!!!!!
    You dont need the extra worry being pregnant, Im glad I sorted it out with mine as when I had my third she was a darling to have round the kids and I was happy too.
    take care xxxxxx
  • i am having the same problem with my mil and to be honest my child minder, firstly my child minder has him 1 day a week for breakfast and lunch on the odd occassion tea, sometimes she has him 2 days a week but not very often she gives her kids lollies, sweets and crisps and i mean walkers cheese and onion i have been there and they ar eeating crisps for breakfast i know she does make meals for them like tomato soup, pasta, sausages and mash etc but i also know there is lots of junk i dont know how to approach the situation you know i could say something and she take no notice give it him while im not there???

my mil does go ott she gives him crisps alot she has him one day a week to she does make him good stuff to like cottagie pie ect but its the inbetween that worries me im unsure how do deal with it im into 5 day at the minuite and id like him to eat 5 a day which im trying to do to but when others dont follow our rules what can you do other than be there 7 days a week?????
    it does upset me sometimes:\?
  • im lucky im the only one that looks after my kids so i know everything they eat. my son is really fussy but as his mum i know ways to get healthy food in to him.
    when family do visit my or inlaws non will give either of my kids anything with out checking with me first, they dont even let the kids know they have sweets ect intill after asking me first x
  • childminders are paid staff, tell her that you want lo having only healthy food & no crap. If she doesn't comply, find a new cm & report her. With mil's it is harder, they are basically doing you a favor but you should be able to make your wishes clear but tbh, my mum has lo one day a week & he eats a lot more snacks (like mini cookies, crisps, choccies) than he does with me or his cm but I let it slide, it's only one day a week, he loves being there & my mum does it for free saving me about 100 pounds a month. Lets face it, if you are really unhappy then you have the choice to send lo to a nursery or a cm instead.