Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

biting toddler!!! help!!!

i have a 22 month old daughter who has turned vicious!!

she will just come over to me, and just try to bite me, even try biting my face! i know it sounds sttupid, but its so hard to get her off, i cant just pick her up and put her down as any part of my body that is in biting distance, she will go for! and i can tell her off, and she will just laugh, but its turned into this really low pitched cackle recently! more like shes going 'muuwwwaahhaahhaaa!!' or she will grunt at me. she will even come over for a cuddle and try and bite my forhead! the only thing i can do to get her to stop (fo a short amount if time!) is pretend to cry!

ive had trouble with her hitting and nipping for a while, but this biting thing is getting ridiculous!!

im also woorried because im pregnant, due in july, and i dont want her to bitew the new baby. it scares me!

i feel like im almost bullyed by her sometimes, sounds ridiculous but its true!!

if anyone has any advice, please tell me!!!! xxx

Replies

• Hi I can totally sympathise with you. I posted a couple of weeks ago re my 22 month old daughter hitting us and others. It has now got worse and she pulled a girls hair twice last week and I had to take her out of the play centre we were in (I ended up in tears) Today I have picked her up from nursery and she has scratched one child and given another bruising around his eye.
    I have tried saying no but she just carries on so I have placed her on the floor and she has a massive tant, I then make her apologise and get her to give cuddles.But she still does it again.
    I have asked advice from nursery teachers and other people involved with children and everyone gives different advice from naughty steps, time out and ignoring or resraining.
    I feel like I am doing something wrong for her to behave like this but have been assured lots of children go through this stage.
    Sorry I have not been much help but just wanted to let you know you are not alone xx

[Modified by: lilypod on January 27, 2010 09:30 PM]

• Ok my daughter was also going through the same stage at one point. She only ever did it with me or her dad and never anyone else. My mother in law told me to bite her back, I thought know I can't do that she's only a baby. But after trying everything else, I thought I'm going to have too. So every time she bit me I would say "No that's naughty" if she did it again I would say "How would you like mummy to bite you" and I would bite her back... It took a few times, but she did stop doing it as she realised it wasn't nice and that it hurt...xx
  • My youngest sister went through the same phase - she thought it was hilarious but it really hurt sometimes, it sounds awful but my mum bit her back one day (as gently as you can bite someone lol!) and she stopped once she realised it wasn't nice - if it helps she is now a well adjusted 11 year old and with no memories of such events!!!
  • My lo is 15 months and we are having a real issue with him biting, He's only doing it to hubby and I just now but it is exactly as you describe. If I pick him up for a cuddle he bites my shoulder. If I'm standing in kitchem he attaches himself to the back of my legs with his teeth!

I don't think he's doing it maliciously, sometimes it's quite playful.

We've tried repeatedly saying No, and putting him away from us. And he either ignores it or starts to cry because he's been given a row.

I have heard of 'biting back' but never tried it. Just didn't seem right I guess. Wonder if it's worth a go ? S x
  • thanks for the advice girls!

well, my mum said to bite her back, so i did once but she just laughed at me! because obviously i darent do it enough to hurt her, but i cant physically do it!! so that ones out of the window, just gonna try and ignore her tantrums and move her somewhere else when she does, and see if we get anywhere. i did read that if kidsa only bite parents that it can be a sign of love as they dont know how to express themselves, but id prefer a cuddle!! xx