Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

when do they/you cut out afternoon naps???

for a while J has been missing his day nap. he will be 3 in october. If i put him up to bed he will still sleep and stays asleep for 1- 2 hrs but can stay up till bed time without 1. He wakes at about 7am and goes to bed at about 8pm. If he does nap its at about 2pm. Does he really need this nap still or should i let him drop it?

Elaine and boys xx

Replies

• Options
    i dont have any experience as my lo is only 1 but i would think if he's happy enough without it then dont bother with it, let him deciede? unless he gets cranky? image
  • Options
    Hi Hon,

If he's happy without a nap I would let him drop it out completely.

I've been trying to get Alfie to drop his daytime nap (although he's only just turned 2) to try to get him to sleep better on a night but he can't manage it at all. He gets really grumpy, won't have any tea and isa nightmare for company (that's if he doesn't fall asleep at 4.30pm!)

It sounds like J is ready to me...xxx
  • Options
    Aaww bless lil Alfie. I think i'll let him drop it then. *sigh* its just another sign that hes not a baby anymore he a little boy now. :cry:

thanx for ur advice ladies

Elaine xx
  • Options
    I let Sonny decide, if he looks to be waning then I stick him in his pushchair laid down & then if he sleeps, he sleeps but sometimes he just needs a calm 15minutes of laying there twiddling his blanket or a toy to rejuvinate. If lo is unable to go without a nap without getting stroppy during dinner & before bed then imo a structured sleep is still essential. Sonny sleeps pretty much every day but esp at weekends he gets too distracted so misses an afternoon nap but is still be ok, if a bit yawny till bedtime, where we normally put him down half an hour earlier. image

• Options
    If he is happy to have a nap and it doesnt intefere with his bed time (ie make him stay up later) then I would let him continue to have it, it gives you a bit of time with your other childre or if they are napping too then a bit of much deserved you time. My children all cut naps at different times, Jacob was 4 and still having a nap in the afternoon, Megan was just over 3 and I stopped it because it was affecting bed time routine, whereas Alice was only just 2 when she refused point blank to have a sleep in the day becuase "I am not a baby now thankyou mummy" ha ha ha I really met my match with her.
  • Options
    I noticed she changed her paterns after her first birthday,she cut back on her naps dramatically!
    She used to have 2 long naps,up to 4hrs and 12 rs night sleep.
    Now she can go for a whole day without ANY sleep,but sometimes has a half to 1hr nap ..i have no idea where that came from so sudenly,she was always a great sleeper.
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10729;116/st/20070810/n/My+little+girl/dt/7/k/38bb/age.png

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;10051;89/st/20090512/dt/7/k/7b14/preg.png

[Modified by: pixie_pixie on September 10, 2008 11:51 PM]