Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

my child is the female version of damien (666) help!!!!

i need some seriuos advise ladies,
my little girl used to be such an angel then she turned 3, she used to go to a private nursery which was good, but now she goes to a public pre-school at the school which i want her to attend, the only trouble is, is she goes with my friends children now she has totally changed.
she has a proper attitude if i ask her to do something she blanks me and refuses to do it, she throws things and she has even started screaming at the top of her lungs if she doesnt get what she wants.
i live with my parents at present and i cant afford to move out and she totally plays us off against eachother, but my parents give into her even when i have told them not to.
i work 3 nights a week and she used to go to bed to sleep no problems but now when my mum takes her she screams and plays up big time, she tries it with me to now but so far it has not worked.
its getting so hard and i am really starting to lose patients with her and i have tried the naughty step and telling her off and she just laugh at me.
i do smack as a last resort but i hate doing it and i dont want to do it, but i really am lost for ideas.
i know its probably just a phase but
PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE.
sassie. xx

Replies

• Options
    do you think she is picking up bad behaviour at nursery? i think the best thing to do would to just be consistent with her so she knows she won''t get away with it, and have a serious word with your parents coz i'm sure they don't want her acting like that all the time either. you could try a reward chart, i know lots of people find them very effective , better to reinforce good behaviour and maybe do naughty step when she has a tantrum (if you are consistent it will work!)
    kids will always try to push the boundaries won't they?! and it can't be easy living with parents (i've done it too and the inlaws!!) good luck x.
  • Options
    My daughters only 2 but we use the naughty step along side a reward chart to discourage any bad behavior & it usually works a treat. I think though you may have to have a word with your parents & tell them what you are going to do & the way in which you want it done if it is going to work though.

Hilary x
  • Options
    the reward charts sounds like a good idea.
    i will give it a go i think, can you buy them or make them yourselfs, i aint no good at crafts lol. xx
  • Options
    I got my reward chart in Next & coz its pink (everything must be pink at the moment!!!) it goes down a treat. It cost ??12 & has magnetic stars making it reusable.

Early learning centre also do a good one so depending on which shop is handier for you either would do.

Failing that you could always try ebay coz there are usually some on there too

Hilary x
    P.S. She looks like a little angel in your photo!!
  • Options
    i know she does, butter wouldnt melt and all that. a lot of the time she can be a peach and mummys little angel (whan its just me and her) but when other people r around its damien.
    i am gonna go look in next tomorrow.
    thanks xx
  • Options
    I know the feeling. Sometimes when I tell her no she cant have something she tries turning on the charm & asking someone else & if its her granny she usually gets it

Hope the reward chart works. Let me know how you get on

Hilary x
  • Options
    hi i can so sympathise with you..i too have a 3 year old girl (just turned in oct), and im sorry to say this but im so glad this is happening with you (and im not the only one!!).i too feel she is much worse around others especially my mum who lets her do anything, like for example my daughter could hit my mum and be crying after being told off by me, and then my mum will say "aww wee pet" and give her cuddles and sympathy, i really stresses me out and certainly just undermines the discipline i am trying to give her. i have tried a naughty area as we have no stairs, and ive tried reward charts but she doesnt take nay of it seriously, so what i do not is put her in her room, or out in the hall (depending where we are) and hold the door shut for a minute (and stay there so im not abandoning her) and then make her apologise, and i find this works because then she totally loses the control she wants because she is shut awauf rom what id happening (its literally 2 minutes, if that, but it works). my husband (who is not her natural dad) would normaly take a toy off her (whatever she is playing with when the naugthyness happens) and outs it up high somewhere she cant get it, and gives her it back once she has calmed doen and apologised. i think it really iust depends on the personality of your child. it really annoys me when i see parents who can tell there child once and they just do what theyre told..my girl has a very strong willed personality and i find her difficult at times, but you ust have to be strong..admittedly some days feel like battles!! she was much better behaved when she was 2 and i got smug thinking she had completely skipped the terrible twos, but no, its here now i think.good lkuck anyway x