Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Upset when leaving him at nursery

This last month I have gone back to work, from 8:30am to 5:30pm as I was given a promotion and this moment in time the extra money is a godsend. Before I was finishing at 4:30pm. But since I've started the extra hour my son, who just turned 2, gets so upset when i leave him with the nursery or his childminder. It breaks my heart and they all assure me his fine after a few minutes, but its making me feel so guilty. I never had an issue before he was always wanting to go play. Do you think its the extra hour or just coincidence? Has anyone else had this issue what did you do to stop them getting so upset?

Replies

• My lo has been going to nursery since he was 31/2 mnths. Every now and then he has a little 'hiccup' like this. The first thing to remember is something a child psycologist friend told me.... His ideal situation is to have you AND nursery. He cries a little when you go but then figures that 1 out of 2 aint bad so he's happy. That has helped me a lot knowing he isn't crying cos he hates nursery. The way I find to deal practically with it is, when I drop him off, I just give a quick kiss and cuddle, tell him I'll be picking him up later and then go. The longer I drag this out the more upset he gets so I keep it short but reassuring. Hope this helps. Good luck and don't feel guilty. Think about all the fun he has whilst he's there.
  • Hiya,
    I dont think its the extra hour because your lo doesnt know "time" as such only things like breccy, lunch and tea(if you get what I mean).
    It could be he's a little tired, or even something thats bothering him.
    I think the thing to do is a bit of motherly investigating. Ask aroud at nursery, the staff and other mums to see if they have noticed anything. If not chances are hes trying it on to see what reaction he gets ie you staying longer with him, if he get extra attention.
    Any "reward" for the unnecessary behavior will make him do it more.
    The thing to remember is you need to work to keep him happy and healthy, dont feel guilty(Its hard not to I know).
    Dont know if this helps any
    XXXXXXXXXXxxx
  • nessellis - i'd never thought of it like that - thank you.

I've just had to changed Maxwell's nursery, it took him nearly 2 mths not to cry when I dropped him off at the last one and today is his first full day at the new place (distracting myself on here!) and its tears again. I feel awful that I can't explain to him why he's moved to a different nursery & he loved the other place, would run down to his room with smiles, I'm sure it will happen here too in time but I feel so guilty at the moment x