Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Mini-pill - your experiences

Having decided we definitely won't be trying for another LO for 2 or 3 years I have decided to go back on the pill, but as I am bf it needs to be the prog-only pill rather than the combined pill which I was on before.

I considered a coil or implant but have heard quite a few horror stories, plus don't really like the idea of a foreign body inside me!

Anyway, those who are on it what do you think? Are there any side-effects? Have you ever forgotten to take it? (I know you have to take it every day, and that there's a 3-hr window - though my mw says there's a new one out now with a 12-hr window, anyone on this?)

Replies

• Options
    Ive used a few of the mini pills and never got on with them. I have AF then another one 3 weeks later then again 2 weeks later until im just bleeding all the time.

I think its just my body that they dont agree with, although in theory using them was fine. I found although there is a small window, my life is much more structured with having kids, its not like in my younger days that i might go out and not come home!!

Ive heard the implant when it works for you is really good and u return to normal the day it is taken out.

Gemm x
  • Options
    I'm on the mini pill and it works fine for me, but then I've always managed fine with the pill in general. The only side effect I've ever had is some bloating, but nothing very serious and it did go away after a while.

The three hour window thing is a bit of a pain (especially with the time changes when I was traveling) but given how much sex we have been having, it hasn't really been too much of an issue abstaining for seven days if I took it later than anticipated! image

One thing I will say, I am now completely regular which wasn't true before I had Peter. I don't know if that is the pill or just hormonal changes in me, but it is very nice to have at least one entirely predictable element to my life these days!
  • Options
    I'm on the one with the 12 hour window. I'm just about to go and change it as I am having a week long period every 2 weeks. No pain, but obviously it's irritating. I've been on it ab out four months

Apart from that no problems. My friend did suffer terrible mood swings on the mini pill and she's now on the coil with no probs.
  • Options
    i was on the 12hour window one, but at the time i was experiencing some quite bad 'vaginal discomfort' which on readingt he little booklet it coems iwth , said could be a side effect, so i stopped it, but whenn i had my gaene appointment it turned out it was comlpetely unrelated, so didn't actually ahve an issues with it afterall, i didn't go back on it tho as we wanted to ttc within the next 4 montsh of then so wasn't much point, especially as thought shld give my body a bit of a break before ttc anyway...after the next one i think i'll be going back on that, quite handy having a 12hour window (i was bf too when i was on this) as i cld never have rememebred within the 3 hour slot, and sometimes cut it lcose on the 12hours too
    xx
  • Options
    I was on the mini-pill from when Abby was 6 weeks until 2 weeks before her 1st birthday and as you know I BF without issues. I used the one with the 12 hour window and didn't have a single period (in fact I have now only had 1 period in over 2 years :\) ). The only side-effect I had was that it affected my sex-drive (or maybe that was having a baby?!).

Anyway I'm considering going on the implant after this one as that is also progesterone-only and I'm definitely not planning a 3rd for a few years yet. image

H xx
  • Options
    I've been on the 12-hour one (Cerazette) as I can't take oestrogen anyway. I started on it straight from coming off the injection, and didn't have any bleeding at all in the 15 months I took it for - I stopped to get my cycle back to normal with a view to ttc, had my first period 4 weeks later then regular periods after that. I started it again when ds was about 6 weeks old, and had no bleeding until after I stopped breastfeeding at 8 months - my periods were then irregular but I put that down to still getting back to normal after having a baby, and when I came off the pill again after another 3 months (with a view to ttc again) there was no effect on my periods - but ttc only took one month!

Basically I've been happy with it, I know some people don't get on with it but I'd say it's definitely worth a try - the 12 hour one though (it's not that new, think I started on it 5-6 years ago), I'd never manage with a three hour window!
  • Options
    Oh no, doesn't sound very promising! Was hoping you'd all say it was great and you had no probs image

I think I'll just have to try it and see how I get on, I might be one of the lucky ones.
  • Options
    g/c from baby, i'm on the mini pill now, i had the coil fitted after having pippa and it fell out image i take the one with the 12 hour window and for the 1st couple of months had irregular spotting but nothing for the last 9 months, it's fab it's the only contraceptive i've taken and actually managed to lose weight as normally i pile it on so it my view it's fab
    xx
  • Options
    I'm on cerazette too. I was on it before lo and went back on it 12wks afterwards.

I had about 8wks irregular bleeding on and off and now almost no periods at all. A little coloured discharge (sorry if tmi) so I know it's that time of month but that'e all.

My moods are hideous but I don't think that is pill related.
    I'm happy on it. S x
  • Options
    Ah ok, seems to be more of a balance of good and bad experiences now! Thanks girls. Only one way to find out if it suits me - got 6-wk post-natal check-up in a few weeks so will be asking for it then.

Suz - I'm sorry but the comment about your moods made me LOL! Sorry, I just wasn't expecting it! Don't tell me - they're man-related. Most of my moods are. :lol:
  • Options
    I was on it and got on with it fine but my 4th baby was a result of my time on it ....ha ha

TBH it was my own fault. I was on very strong antibiotics for a tooth abcess and I had the runs for 4 days. I shoule have know that I needed to use a condom too. When one period was very light I thought nothing of it. When my next one did not arrive I was a bit suprised.Went to the Dr who ran a scan and hey presto I was 9 wks preg!!!!!!!!!!

From a health point of view it suited me fine. I had no ill effects (except pregnancy) and i just set my phone to beep as a reminder every day. I can't rememeber the name of it but it began with M I think...

d xx
  • Options
    Dee dee, was it Micronor? That's the one I'm on as it is the same company that makes the combined pill I used to be on which suited me.
  • Options
    I honestly cannot remember. Also, I got it here in Bahrain so we might get different names/brands. It was def a M but Micronor does not right a bell. I have such a poor memory these days! Too many kids, too old and too much on my mind !!!!

d x