Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Off Food - MMR

Kara got her MMR jag 11 days ago and for the last 3 days has not been fussy on her food. She is not eating as much. She has a very slight temp but in general is in good form. Can anyone tell me how long they usually be off their food if their lo's done the same? Kara is usually a very good eater. My worry is that Kara is a Diabetic and really needs her Carbohydrates at every meal and snacks or her sugars will drop. This was my main worry with the MMR as I worry a lot when she doesn't eat and this hasn't really happened since she became diabetic. Milk has a lot of carbs but since she has been off the bottles when she was diagnosed I find it hard for her to drink milk. She will take it in her cereal no bother but it is drinking of it. This is strange as she loved her milk when she took bottles.

Any advice on reactions and MMR would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Louise

Replies

• Hi Louise, Neve had hers 10 days ago now and has been clingy, whiny and generally very fussy for the last three days or so. I thought it was separation anxiety and teething but am thinking now that it is the after effects of her MMR - lots of friends have had the same symptoms at the same time with their babies. Neve is picking up a bit now and seems a lot more like her old self this morning so hopefully Kara should be felling better very soon.
  • The MMr vaccine reaches it's peak (so to speak) in babies systems 7 to 10 days after receiving it so that ties in with Kara being off her food.
    I can't remember Charlotte going off her food, but she can be fussy anyway so I may not have picked up on it.
    Just keep an eye on her (stupid thing to tell you really - of course you are!) Hopefully it will pass in the next few days xx
  • Thanks for your replies. I decided to take Kara to the Docs today anyway to check her throat as I had a feeling that her throat might be sore as she had no problem eating yogurts and soft foods. It turns out she has an ear and throat infection and was given an antibiotic. It may be just a coincedence or it could be coming from the MMR. I will never know. She is a bit clingy and a bit whiny as well this last few days.
  • Ahh poor Kara. It could just be a coincidence with having the MMR as there are lots of bugs flying around at the moment.
    I was supposed to be going to my sister's this afternoon but her 2 lo's both have a sickness bug. She's not had a good night with them. They are both under 4 and throwing up all night and her oh works away in the week. She's knackered!
    Hope Kara feels better soon xx