Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Conflicting Medical guidance

My DS (21mths) has had some sort of bug since Thursday night, we had 3days of V&D then yesterday i thought he'd got a bit better as kept fluids and bland food down, then at 11.30pm everything came back in one go. NHS direct nurse was most concerned about lack of wet nappies, but then out of hours doc wasn't concerned said carry on with sips of water.

Visited doc this morning who says probably viral infection and just give it time, day 5 and counting.

Now for my rant.... why do all the medical guidelines say clearly call GP or go to A&E if no wet nappies in 4-6hrs when the doctors disregard this!!!

I'm still worried about lethargic unhappy lil boy sat on my lap and dont feel overly re-assured by docs visit. :roll:

Replies

• Poor little guy. Do you think it might be rotavirus as its going on for so long? I'm only saying it as when Cole had it, docs said pretty much most kids had it by age 5 and that was usually what they had if v&d went on longer than 48 hours - they can send off a sample to test but doc never bothered with cole cause that was the 8th kid the doc had seen that day!

I've been told by several doctors that so long as they don't go for any longer than 24 hours without a wet nappy its not dehydration - Cole did go for a bit over 24 hours before having a wet nappy on day 3/4 of rotavirus and the doc had said to bring him back the next day if he went to 24 hours. They also told me to look out for dehydration signs (I think one was sunken facial features but i can't remember properly now) but despite eating/drinking barely anything for several days he didn't get dehydrated.

It really would help if they were all on the same page wouldn't it!! Can you take him back to the docs if he's no better? I'd say if he's been 24 hours with no wet nappies then definately take him back.

Hope he's better soon
  • Thank you for your advice, they just said viral bug due to length, so could be but poor lil guy already had norovirus in the winter, which was bad enough, now this!

We had a little bit of a wet nappy (with added weird chalky substance) so bit more relieved now, just hoping his dinner of bread will stay down tonight!