Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

worried LO not standing or walking 14 months

Hi Ladies

Just after some reassurance really! My lo bum shuffles and gets around quite quickly and is content to do so. My concern is that she will not stand at all and crys or more like whinges if I try to stand her against furniture and goes all limp on me or lifts her legs up.
I have taken her to see the GP and they have just said she will do it in her own time, I took her to an osteopath who said pretty much the same!
But I am worried at nursery there are babies as young as 9 months cruising along I feel like she will never do it.
Has anyone else's lo done this

Helen

Replies

• Options
    Hi Helen,

My LO turned one on the 4th sept so not quite 13 months but just wanted to say she does exactly the same thing!
    She bum shuffles everywhere now but it took her until she was 11 months to even start and she shows no signs of wanting to cruise either. I think I'll start to worry if shes still not showing any signs once she turns 15 months as thats when I started to walk according to my Mum lol!
    Can I ask how old you were when you started walking? I wonder if it follows?
  • Options
    not sure how old I was Sarah, I have also been told that babies who bum shuffle do not walk early because they can get about have bot hands free and have a good view so why would they want to walk it is just the fact she is not keen on the standing that worries me.
    Lara hope my lo is doingsomthing by 15 16 months I am driving my hubby mad with my fretting
  • Options
    Hi Flowerlands,

I know it's hard not to worry or compare but just wanted to reassure you that your lo is not the only 14 month old not walking! DS was 14 months yesterday and will not put any weight on his legs if I try to encourage him to walk/stand by himself. He does cruise around the furniture but that's as far as it goes.

Tbh, I'm really not worried at the moment although I think I will start to worry if he's not walking by 18 months. Aside from not walking he is constantly on the go. Like your lo, he is a bum shuffler, he climbs on, in, under and over everything. I guess he really doesn't see the point in walking right now as he gets to wherever he wants to go.

I hope that's reassured you that you're not alone!! xx

• Options
    Hi
    I do feel so much better just by reading your responses it makes me feel better to know that other lo's are doing the same, I am surrounded by friends whose lo's all walking etc so I feel concerned however my little girl does talk non stop just like her mummy image x
  • Options
    I so sympathise with having lots of friends whose children are walking! We were in exactly the same position (although Peter crawled rather than bum shuffled). He took his first independent steps at 16 months but didn't really start walking until 17 months. Your lo has plenty of time to work it out! :\)

And good for her being such a chatterbox! The other little girl I know who bum shuffled (and didn't walk until about 16 months) is also the best talker of her age I have met. Must be something about the way their brains are wired, I guess. ;\)
  • Options
    Oh no, now I'm worrying he isn't saying as much as he should!! Other than the normal Mum, Dadda, Nan etc, does the fact that he spends most of his day talking in what appears to be German count as being a chatterbox?? image
  • Options
    German counts! xx
  • Options
    Phew :lol:
  • Options
    my lo sounds like she is talking chinese sometimes and then throws in the occasional "shrek" her favourite person at the moment and "rubbish" this word came out when I asked her if she was enjoying her pasta I had made!
    I think clearly by sitting back and taking it all in they are already bilingual :\)
  • Options
    Peter speaks mainly Peter-ese which bears strong resemblance to Swedish! image
  • Options
    Sweetheart you worry for nothing!
    My daughter started crawling at 7.5 months old...l have 6 friends with 12 kids total and NON of them has started crawling before 9 months.They all told me that she will be walking by the time she is 9.
    However my experience told me otherwise...l knew she will not walk early. All babies that l know who have been walking before 10 months old - never crawled. They went straight to walking.
    She was on her feet at 8 but didnt move until she was pass 14 months old.
    l have forbid my family to walk around with her and teach her to walk!

Trust me its better that way! She will be much less clumsy image
    She will take enough time to explore and will learn to be me more careful.
    Her spine will be more ready to support her and more developed to support her falls.
    Dont rush her...give her time...it will happen...and then the trouble begins :lol:

good luck

• Options
    Hi K

Thanks for your info, I am a first time mum so do not have anything to compare to only friends who have lo's at same age. Hearing from mums who are in the same boat makes me feel better and means I do not go running back to the Gp

• Options
    My LO has just turned one and has no intention of crawling just yet!
    She is happy to stand (in fact she prefers it to sitting at the mo!) but can't stand on her own and will not move.
    My HV told me that bum shufflers don't tend to crawl at all and are often late walkers as they have found a perfectly good way to get around!
    My god son is 4 months younger than my LO and is practically walking, i do compare them although I shouldn't - it's difficult!

Oh, and my baby is fluent in what sound like Russian and Chinese- what clever little ones we have haha!!

Xxx
  • Options
    agree with the other ladies,please try and not worry,DS he was 18 months when he started walking
    the twins DS2 he was 12months when he started walking but DD1 she started walking at 20 months and there 21 months now and there is no stoping her
  • Options
    My ds was around 14 months when he first began to stand unaided but showed no signs of walking whatsoever till he was 20 months. However wheras all my friends children have progressed slowly from 1st steps to actually walking, Rhys took his 1st steps and within a few days he was walking everywhere. I never heard of the talker or walker theory but he's always been really good at talking and now at 33 months we are always getting told how clear his speech is.
  • Options
    Lucy was a bum shuffler, she didn't crawl till she was 11 months, then took her first steps at 18 months. PLEASE don't worry yourself, i had myself sick with worry over Lucy, and to see her now running about the place at 23 months, you wouldn't think she's only been walking for 5 months!!

I know how hard it is not to worry though, i had my FIL saying he thought there might be something wrong with her hips as she screamed when you tried to stand her up, she just refused to bear any weight whatsoever! Then we also had the fact that one of Lucy's little friends took her first independant steps on her 1st birthday (and she is a month younger than Lucy).

x x x
  • Options
    hi,
    My sister now aged 33 was a bum shuffler and did not walk until 2 years old gp told my mum that bum shufflers are often late walkers and not to worry.
  • Options
    hi hun, as others have said try not to worry, i think that its true that bun shuffelrsa re later to walk. My OH's family were all shufflers and his sisters walked at 16 and 17 months and my OH not until 18 months. i walked at 10 months but he is much fitter that i am now lo. x
  • Options
    thans so much for everyone for taking the time to respond to me I feel so positive today, the nursery laughed when I told them that last night she used her baby walker pushing it bum shuffling along not quite the right idea but she enjoyed herself

You are all so lovely on here xx
  • Options
    Its easy for others to say but please dont worry. I know plenty of kids who didnt walk til they were past 18m and i have heard bum shufflers walk later because they get around so fast by shuffling. My LO crawled at 9m and quickly started cruising to taking her first steps at 11m but then she didnt actually properly walk until 13m. Dont forget they have to build up their muscles and then they have the whole confidence issue too. It must be pretty daunting learning to walk! She'll get there in the end. Speech wise for 19m my DD is brilliant and is putting sentences together now so i spose all that time spent thinking about walking she was chatting instead LOL!

[Modified by: MyAngel_MyWorld on September 22, 2010 09:37 PM]