Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Toddler lunches - need inspiration

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked a million times before but I really need some inspiration for my wee man's lunches.
He can be a fussy thing sometimes and I just feel like we're having the same thing over and over.

He has lunch at childminder while I work, 4 mornings, and she will give him whatever I supply. Twice a week he has sandwiches and the other 2 days he has a Hipp Toddler meal- which I think he hates and would rather have something else if I supplied it.

Don't want to do sandwiches too often as he sometimes has toast for breakfast and not keen on him eating too much bread. Any ideas welcome. Ta. S x

Replies

• Options
    Lily has a variety of lunches because she gets bored easily and then refuses to eat so I try to limit sandwiches to once a week- she is also funny about eating bread and will only eat the soft bit in the middle and has to pick the filling off first before eating the bread so we have "deconstructed sandwiches" instead.
    Anyway some of the other lunches she has are:

Potato waffles with pasta shapes- like bob the builder or princess ones with tomato sauce

Boiled egg with soldiers

Mini pizzas or sometimes we share a big one (9inches) she only has one or two slices with carrot and cucumber batons and sometimes sweetcorn all good finger foods

Smiley faces and chicken dippers or fish fingers sometimes with pasta shapes sometimes with peas

Rice and chicken dippers or fish fingers (I buy the batcherlors packet flavoured rice- will probably get shouted out because they have loads of salt but she only has about 2 -3 tablespons of it, its not every day and she LOVES its!)

Cheesy pasta- very easy to do boil your pasta sometimes I add in some bits of broccoli or or peas when its cooked grate in some cheese a little dash of cream or whole milk and mix up she LOVES this!

That's just a few I can think of HTH.
    xxx
    Oooo and SOUP she loves soup can be very messy tho!

[Modified by: ILOVEMYGEEK2 on June 22, 2010 11:12 AM]

[Modified by: ILOVEMYGEEK2 on June 22, 2010 11:13 AM]

• Options
    Hi Suz,

As well as the suggestions already given, Lo (29 months) enjoys soup and toast or pittas to dip (tomato soup is a favourite), scrambled egg or baked beans on toast with cheese, jacket potatos done in the microwave with fillings like cheesy bacon or ham or tuna mayo, houmous and raw carrot sticks or pitta strips to dip, on the odd occasion he also has a sausage roll or pasty and he likes this type of lunch most of all.

• Options
    my son is 17 months and likes bagels,ryvita with spreads on or plain. dried fruit, mini pizza's organic crisps,fruit bars.
  • Options
    Both my los (a year old and 2 and a half years old) love bacon pate on bread, also tuna mayo, ham, roast chicken slices, crisp bread makes a change from just normal bread. At home I give them things like scrambled egg, mini toad in the hole, cheese on toast, fish fingers, depending on how much time I have. They love their fruit so I always give them plenty of that in easy to hold chunks. Dried fruit goes down well too, as does baby carrots.
    When we are over in the UK my 2 and a hald year old loves mini pork pies and sausage rolls x
  • Options
    How about making up some pasta and sauce and sending it with him to childminder to be reheated? Tomato sauce goes down well with my 2 and you can hide loads of veg in it too image just blitz it up to make it smooth.
  • Options
    Breadsticks/cheese twists with a cream cheese dip go down well here for a lighter lunch option. Or slices of sausage, oatcakes and a soft topping (DD won't eat bread!).

My DD loves the AK salmon footballs and they are great finger food with other veggie/fruit sticks to accompany. DD is also happy to just eat big pasta shapes as finger food too along with some grated cheese, messy but nice!
  • Options
    spaghetti with pesto is a BIG hit here and we send it to nursery to be heated. Also a bit of Mashed potato with beans and cheese gets sent for a reheat (just like a jacket but without the jacket. Max likes crackers with cream cheese on too.

otherwise it's sarnies here mostly YAWN!
  • Options
    Gabe has either
    -sandwiches, crisps and fruit (he only really eats jam sandwiches but will have sausage/bacon sandwich if his dad has it)
    -pasta in sauce (Gabe likes pesto too like mummy- the red one - but he'll eat any pasta sauce with grated cheese on)
    -beans on toast
    -chicken nuggets, smileys & peas or similar!
    Very boring I know!!! xxx
  • Options
    How about a cold pasta salad? - Darcy likes tuna,mayo and sweetcorn pasta
    or quiche and salad (tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot, carrot, pepper)
    She also likes cous cous but it is messy and ends up EVERWHERE! x
  • Options
    Very boring in this house.

For my dd midday meal she will ahve 1 piece of bread or toast followed by some fruit/yogurt. This fills her up and shes off to sleep soon after.
    Currently she is a fan of melted cheese on toast.
  • Options
    My girls have. pasta with grated cheese
    pasta with soft cheese stired in
    Tortilla wraps with salad in it
    Pitta bread with salad or chicken and cheese in it
    Pitta bread pizza
    Tortilla pizza
    Sandwiches
    Soup
    Potato waffles and spagetti and cheese on top
    then they will have a yoghurt and some fruit or crisps for a treat
  • Options
    Pitta bread pizza is a hit in our house too (though not easy to transport!) and eggy bread (which I make my oh make as I can't stand eggs!) again no good for childminder though, sorry! I have the opposite problem - not allowed to send food to nursery so have to put up with what they give him (usually fine but some things I raise an eyebrow at!) x
  • Options
    DD is currently devouring pate on melba toasts. Other faves are cold pasta salad with ham or prawns, pasta and homemade sauce (easy to make and reheat), scrambled or boiled eggs with toast, bruschetta. Any kind of veggies and dips, she's not that keen on sandwiches but loves French bread with diff cooked meats and salad so we have that sometimes.
  • Options
    Well a lot of ours do involve bread but...
    Beans on toast
    grilled toast with cheese n thin spread of pickle
    scrambled egg
    egg mayonaisse
    mashed potato (buy freezer blocks and pull a few out for microwave) with tuna Mayo
    pasta with some sort of sauce, (I freeze small portions of pasta sauce in rammekins and add to pasta when needed)
    soup - very messy but a favourite
    a dinner meal- whenever I've made something up I tend to freeze a few smaller portions to pull out for meals eg shepherds pie, lasagne, casserole, chkn etc
    sandwiches

tbh we tend to eat together and he'll have whatever I'm making, ESP as it's so hot so doesn't always need a hot meal.