Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

How old?

Does anyone know how old los should be before you can offer shellfish and soft cheeses? Because I eat almost all my meals with Peter I have had to avoid some of my favourite foods until now, but he is a year old on Monday and would love to start introducing him to some of them if possible.

Replies

• I'm not 100% sure to be honest but Poppy has been having prawns and scallops etc from about 10 mths and she's fine! I think it was probably a bit older than that for soft cheeses as I'm not overly keen except for Camembert so we don't have them often. I thought that once they got to 12 mths they can pretty well have everything!
  • Thanks, ladies. I might treat him to blue cheese and broccoli pasta next week then. I thought a year was the right age, but thought I would just double check. Knowing my luck, he will have inherited his dad's loathing of all cheese but melted cheddar and goat's cheese!
  • I've no idea about the cheese but shellfish they actually say 6 months for now.

Completely off topic but they say you can eat peanuts in pregnancy now as well!!
  • Ooh, Garfield, I wish I had known that earlier! I've been craving prawns for the past six months!

Didn't know about the peanuts either. I was in total panic about offering Peter peanuts. Took the plunge at 8 months and he has had no reaction at all, thankfully.

Lissy'smommy, I'll definitely keep my eye our for reactions. No history of fish allergy on either side, so hopefully we'll be okay.

Thanks so much for all the advice, ladies. :\)
  • Lo's not had either and he's 21months but to be honest its cos we don't eat either.

He's been having peanut butter since 1, we dont give him whole nuts but he did have about 1/3 of a chocolate brazil today.

I was thinking of trying him with runny eggs & soldiers though, hopefully that will be OK at this age. xx
  • Sorry, should have said, the peanuts was actually peanut butter. Other than ground almonds in some fairy cakes, those are the only 'nuts' he's had as I know whole nuts are a choking risk.

Ymgm, I was told they are not supposed to have runny eggs and soldiers until 5!! But I have to admit I am taking that one with a pretty hefty dose of salt (also banned, I know image) as I can't imagine a childhood without soft boiled eggs and toast soldiers.
  • Want to hear something stupid? Babies 6 months + are meant to be ok with egg yolks, but egg whites are to be avoided until after 12 months! image

And they just state 'very young children' for runny egg guidelines, but I guess so long as you buy the lion stamped eggs they will be fine, as the hens have been vaccinated against salmonella so are safer.

I'm sad in knowing so much, but dh has a mild egg allergy so I read up on it - still gave lo whole egg at 9 months :roll: and he was fine!

Mmmm, I know what we're having for breakfast in the morning! image
  • I'm not 100% that Gabe would even try eggs as he had scrambled egg once at 11 months and he despised it so we havent tried again!! I am definitely going to try the boiled eggs and soldiers though but I think Gabe is so clueless re. eggs he might try and eat the shells :lol:

Talking of salt, I do avoid it for lo, I think it's hidden in some food he eats but I don't ever put it in cooking, BUT I do feel sorry for the poor mite having to eat food without it!