Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

comforter/toy for cot

Does your lo have a special toy just for the cot that helps them settle?

Just wondering cos Charlotte is struggling with settling at night now. To make things worse she has started with a chesty cough which is worse when she's lieing down. She started crying so I gave her a cuddly toy out of her room which seemed to pacify her a little.

I've often wondered if I should get her a small cuddly toy just for the cot which she can cuddle to settle with. I'm quite strict about bed-time and always wanted her to settle on her own with no 'props' as I call them. Also, some people I speak to are quite surprised she doesn't have a special cot toy/comforter etc.

Do you think I should get her one or just leave her as is now she's nearly 18 months? I don't want to start bad habits (for what of better words) but I want her to settle. And do you have any suggestions on good oomforter toys (preferably cuddly ones).

Poor little thing keeps coughing She's never had a bad cough before and I've given her Calpol as I know rules & regs changed on cough meds for lo's.

Replies

• Options
    WEll Max has a muslin which when we put him to bed goes over his face and he scrunches it about and cuddles it all night. But also in his cot are a load of cloth books (3 I think) and a cuddly rabbit with a bell in (from the zeddy and parsnip mamas and papas range) and a cuddly chicken (from blossom farm range in elc) that has mirrors and buttons etc on and a cuddly teddy that sings songs if you press the buttons. He doesn't bother with any of these at night but if he wakes early will play with them and stay happy so that is why they are there and none of them come out of the cot.

His muslin is his only comforter and he loves it and I am happy for him to have it! It might be worht trying somtheing to see if it helps her settle. Anythings worth a try hey??
  • Options
    Hi CCB,
    This is Neve's best friend Mr Pony -

http://www.kidszone1.com/jellycat-chattering-horse-pr-746.html

She has always loved soft toys and has taken him everywhere since she was about 10 months old (we have three of them just in case!) she also has a soft toy duck that comes to bed as well as Mr Pony and then a little gang on teddies for playing with - she is literally never without at least one and now plays tea sets with them!

She never had a dummy and I am really happy that she has something that brings her comfort, I think Charlotte might love a little friend!

Hope the cough clears up soon.
  • Options
    James also has several muslins that he uses as comforters. They are cheap and we have loads of them. Have you tried putting a pillow under one end of Charlottes matress so she is sleeping slightly propped up. I find this really helps when James has a cough.
  • Options
    James also has several muslins that he uses as comforters. They are cheap and we have loads of them. Have you tried putting a pillow under one end of Charlottes matress so she is sleeping slightly propped up. I find this really helps when James has a cough.
  • Options
    Zachariah's only comforter has ever been his dummy (eugh!) and me! I've often thought he should have something but like you would rather not encourage something I'd then have trouble weaning him off! If she's poorly and its comforting her I wouldn't be worried but I personally also wouldn't go out of my way to make it a permanent habit. Does she use a pillow? Zachariah had an awful cough and it was obviously really hurting his throat, I used calpol and if a toy had worked I'd definitely have got him one, poor thing hope she's better soon.
  • Options
    Well she went to sleep really quick last night so maybe the toy helped or she could have just been knackered from toddler group? Who knows.

She does have a pillow but is a real wriggler and hardly stays on it tbh.

I think I'll get a little beanie toy for her cot as they are soft. Thanks for all your replies. xx
  • Options
    Gabe like Max & James has a muslin to sleep with and he loves it. He even carts it round with him in his pushchair sometimes. xx