Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

changing nap time

Am having a dilema at the mo about naps. My 15 month old sleeps from 6pm to 6am he then has a nap at 8.30 am to about 11am. I know most toddlers at this age have an afternoon nap but this has always worked for us. he is beginning to not want to go down. I quite like the idea of changing to an afternoon nap because it free's us up for activities, which are mainly in the morning. The question is, is it worth it and how do I go about it? Any ideas? I always loved the morning nap because it meant it was over and done with and we went about our day without me worrying about getting home for naps.

Replies

• I think if you are going to change a nap time it would be best to do it gradually just to see how your toddler copes. Maybe start the 1st day by putting him down for his nap half an hour later than usual & see what hes like for a couple of days & then put him down 30 mins to an hour later after that for the next few days depending on how hes adjusting to it & keep going from there until you get a nap time that suits you both.

Good luck
    Hilary x
  • my lo only has a morning nap too - about 11.00 - 12.30 - as you say its quite nice, i can get lunch things ready & do chores etc, then after lunch we can go out for the rest of the day & not have to worry too much. as others have said he' probably not tired anymore, so may need to nap later. just see what signs he gives you, at the first sign of tiredness - get him to bed. xx at nursery they start the 1 yr olds on naps straight after lunch: 12.00 - 1.30, god knows how they manage to keep my Freddie awake til 12.00! he simply can't at weekends at all.
  • Mine used to sleep in the morning and now sleeps after lunch from 1pm which works for us. Think it happened as I took him to groups which made him stay awake longer sometimes he is asleep over lunchtime but I don't stress and give him a nap later on