Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Double Pushchairs ...

Well this is a bit premature but I have been thinking about double pushchairs. Im only 5ish weeks pg with baby #2 but I got so stressed about pushchairs last time I thought I would start looking early.

My ds is 19 months so will be approx 2 yrs 4 months when baby arrives. I was thinking that I wont need a double for long so a phil and teds would be a good option. I have considered a buggy board but really dont think this could work for us.

A side by side would be too wide and I haven't see any other pushchair that we could use as a single as well. The new explorer is out which seems on the face of it good. However I have some concerns that Im hoping someone could help with.

The seats seem fairly reclined even in their most upright position - my ds is fussy and likes to be bolt upright (hence why we have had to buy a stroller after our expensive travel system).

The seats dont recline when in doubles mode, so what if both or one children fall asleep when out for a walk? I wouldnt feel right leaving a 4 month old in a seat that didnt recline. Is it def the case that they dont recline?

As my ds will be 2yr 4mnths will he be too big for the doubles seat when in newborn mode? He is tall at the moment - I guess I need to go have a look at it.

Is the pushchair good as a single? Im hoping I wont need to buy any more pushchairs so this could last baby #2 untill they no longer need it.

Also any other negatives and/or positives I need to think about. I made a bit of a mistake with my first pushchair so really dont want to do that again!

Thank you
Emx

Replies

• sorry I dont know too much about phil and teds. I think tho from the little I do know that they would be perfect for you. If you keep toddler upright then the baby would have more room under. Also, if he is anything like my 30 month old, he will not be in the pushchair much longer. P and T sounds a great solution for you
    d x
  • theres a few that are tandems that can convert to singles, obv the phil and teds (personally i don't like the newborn function on this at all), the icandy peach, the icandy pear (which i have but yet to use as double, baby2 is due december when ds will be 20months, but so far a i love it), the britax b dual, the baby jogger city select, the obaby (they do one that is like the p&t) and i think there is a couple of others, but the only ones that u acn use a carrycot on whilst in doubles mode is the icandy peach (??????1k+), pear (??????685) and baby jogger cit select (around ??????6/700) thats the prices for two infant seats and a carrycot...hte icandy peach and pear also are compatible with the maxicoi cabriofix (and possibly the pebble?) which is ??????100-125 plus ??????30 for the adaptors, not sure what carseat is for the baby jogger though. we only looked at these three really because i'm adamant about having a carrycot, the peach is too expensive, and the jogger was too long, so that left the pear ...however had ds been closer to 2.5yrs and if i had a car then i would probably ahve reconsidered the p&t (or one of the chepaer versions of, ie obaby) because then sometimes i could stick ds on buggy board and baby in the carrycot that they do (but can only be used as single, or with cocoon as double) but as i don't drive when we go into town etc its too far to expect ds to stand up for and also i want to make sure that as we're out for quite a while both can be saved by raincovers and that they can both be as comfy as possible. xx
  • I looked at the P&T when pg with DD but my DS is quite a tall boy and (though he was a touch older than your lo will be) we couldn't put the hood of the pram up with the second seat on the front for him! I was gutted cos I loved it and had only heard good things about them but we ended up going with a buggy board. I think prams should be like cars and you should be allowed to properly test drive them before you buy!!
    Xx
  • I would seriously consider whether you'll actually need a double. They can be hard work and so expensive. You could use a baby sling for first few months and keep your older one in the buggy until they are ready to walk. I did have a double (12 months age gap between my DDs) but I wouldn't put DD2 in it til she was about 4 months, and after that I used it for about 6 months I think. DD1 would walk everywhere from age 2 so then DD2 went in a single buggy and DD1 walked.

• I'm pregnant with no 2 and will have the same age gap 2yrs 4months. Are you due in May too?

I think we going to brave it and not get a double. DS is an excellent walker and I don't think we would get enough use out of a double! Besides which I want to use our bugaboo again! So we will get a buggyboard and sling it the first few weeks. If it doesn't work out, we may get a cheap double for when we need it.

A couple of my friends have P&T and love them!
  • We have a P&T Sport.

The seats do recline quite a bit even when fully upright. If the bar is on the front then your older LO would be able to pull himself bolt upright, but this can only happen in 2x toddler mode (the doubles seat can't have the lap bar attached).

I think it's a possibility that your older LO will be too tall for the doubles seat, yes, as my dd1 (21 months) is a dinker but her head is already close-ish to that bar - although perhaps the Explorer doubles seat is better designed than the Sport without that bar at the top? I've not seen one so can't say.

I like the P&T as a single (and double) as it's so narrow and light, but for two things - the foot brake is so stiff it's useless, and the seat, once reclined, can't be put upright again without taking the toddler out first.
  • Thanks for all your replies. *Bliss* yeah Im due in May image

I have thought about a buggy board but say I wanted to go out for a walk my ds would have to stand the entire time. As baby is due in May a large portion of my mat leave will be over winter, I live in Scotland on the coast and it gets very cold. I would end up never going out for walks. Also cant see my ds staying on the buggy board but its difficult cause he could be so different when baby arrives.

I have a babycarrier but only used it a few times with my ds. I have big (.Y.) and found it difficult and uncomfy. I could try get a better one so this is an option. My h2b wont use a baby carrier so he couldn't take both out together.

I was given ??????500 vouchers from work and mothercare are one of the places I can spend them. We are thinking that even if we get 6 months use it might be worth it.

I have also found this double:
    http://www.mothercare.com/Britax-B-Dual-Pushchair-Neon-Black/dp/B0030G3BG6/ref=ts_dp_2/280-4386945-6860525?_encoding=UTF8&mcb=core

Which I have actually found else where for ??????299 with double seat and rain cover included. Was thinking that mothercare might price match (if we wanted this one). Its slightly wider tho and absolutly needs to fit in my Clio.

Ive got heaps of time yet just checking out my options image

• Not read this whole thread - but have you considered a buggypod? It's like a side car that clips to your existing buggy, it does make it wider than a single, but less wide than a normal double, and it means you get a lot more flexibility with the babies pram (as the carrycots on doubles tend to be a bit naff). xxx
  • angel00 - the b-dual is my 1st choice at the mo.particularly as they are bringing a soft carrycot out in nov time.can i ask where you saw it at that price please?x
  • i was about to say buggypod too!

mamas and papas do a pliko switch double. both can lie flat.
  • We've gone for the babyjogger city select. Like Wowbaby, I personally don't particularly like P+T's, as there's not much of a view for whichever child is at the bottom, (but that's just my opinion).

There'll be 21 months between my youngest when s/he arrives, and whilst ds is a good walker, I remember that ds 1 was almost 3 when I was able to walk him everywhere without a pushchair.

I've already started using the babyjogger, as my other buggy (M&P Pliko) was absolute rubbish, and falling apart after only a years use.

I'm loving it so far in singles mode, and cant' wait to use it as a double. It is wider than the Pliko, but much easier to push than anything we've had before. I played with the Britax B-Dual in Mothercare before we decided on the babyjogger, but being quite small, it was far too big and bulky for me, and not as versatile as the babyjogger, which can have both children parent facing, or facing away - whichever's more convenient.

Have fun shopping - try them all out if you can, and see which one suits you best xxx
  • Thanks all again. My ds is a good walker but for example we were out in town today and he was more interested in pulling everything off shelves and running off that walking to the shop I needed to go to. I know he could be so different in 8 months time so will hold off buying a double for quite a while.

MrsS1258 - of course here is the link.

http://www.bambinodirect.co.uk/britax_b_dual/page.asp?refsource=baadwords&gclid=CLqH7-yPpaQCFd392AodLHYP6g

Also found it on amazon for ??????399.