Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Blood in stools - help

Hi there, I normally log on Nov forum as just had a new baby - however I've just realised my 4 yr has blood in her stools.

I went to the loo today and she had had a bowel movement and not flushed - I thot there was blood then put it down to discolouratin of the water due to it lying for a while. The my 8 yr old came home from school and went to the upstairs toilet and said that there was poo and blood in the toilet.

The wee one then went to the toilet again and there was more blood. It is bright red blood - she hasnt complained of a sore tummy or sore bottom. What should I do? What is this?

Replies

• Patdow,

Is the blood in the actual stools or has she torn while maybe straining to go to the toilet?

Blood in stools can be a sign of infection & you probably should take her to see the dr. They will probably want to send off a stool sample so it might be an idea to collect one (lovely I know!!) I dont want to alarm you but this was the 1st sign of something being not quite right with Amy when she had gastroentritis last month (hope we havent sent you a cyber bug again!!!) but she had loose stools & was complaining of a sore tummy when she went as well.

I hope she is feeling better soon. Let me know how you get on. Hopefully it will be nothing

Hilary x