Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

What do they understand at 2yrs?

Hi all

Just wondering what your LOs understand at 2yrs? Next year we are going to Florida for a big family birthday trip. Toby will be 2yrs, 3 months. Will he understand we are going on holiday? Will he understand / get much? Only asking as I'm dead excited and want him to get involved in the excitement too!!!

Joo xxx

Replies

• Hiya,

Evie's 2 yrs and nearly 2 months now and she doesn't understand the concept of holidays and how far off they are but does get excited doing something new. Assuming you'll be visiting Disneyland when you're in Florida so maybe lots of playing with Mickey Mouse toys and stories and poss watching a bit of Playhouse Disney on TV (depending how you feel about that obv!) would make the characters mean more when you're there. Our eldest was 2 and a half when he flew for the first time and we spent the weeks beforehand talking about how exciting aeroplanes were and how high they flew etc. He was so excited when we actually got on the plane, very cute!
    HTH a bit.
    Xx
  • We just cmae back froma break away with my little boy who is 2yrs 4mths. He loved every minute & talks about the holiday all the time now! I showed him pics from the internet about the place we were going and told him we would all be sleeping in another house for a few days.
  • I think it depends on your child, my son's 2 in 2 weeks on sunday (I think lol) and we are going away in June but I don't think he understands really as we havent been away since last year. However when we do something once he will understand when you talk about it again. It's funny as they get to about 2 as they understand a lot of conversations & instructions but agree havent got much concept of long term time xx
  • at 2 he will enjoy the experience while it is happening and probably talk about it afterawrds maybe even get exited a day or two before, but they have very little cocept of time passing so you wont be able to say we are going on holiday in a few month and expect him to be excited in the way and older child would, he will either not be fussed atall or get cross because he wants to go now.
    but he will deffinatly be old enough to enjoy it, freya really enjoyed our holiday last year and really got into the spirit of it and she was only 15 months. xxx