Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Calpol possibly making toddler hyper?

Hey ladies!

I have used Calpol a couple of time over the last week due to Skye cutting her canine teeth and being in pain.

I have noticed however that when I have done this she is nearly impossible to get to down for her lunchtime nap? She's been up there 45 mins so far and is still bouncing about ! :\(

She had her MMR and PCV jabs this morning so I gave her a small dose about half an hour before we went (3mls), just to take the edge of the jabs. We then went off to soft play for an hour where she ran around like a crazy lady, so you would thik she would be tired? :\?

Really starting to wonder if Calpol is making her a bit hyper? Maybe the E numbers in it can do this?? And is Nurofen for children any better? I think it may be the E122 that can cause hyper symptoms in susceptible children, and unsure if strawberry flavour Nurofen has it in too??

Has anybody else experienced anything similar?!

I'll have to resort to sticking her in the car shortly to try and get her off, as she's now making a noise like an indian playing witrh cowboys up there LOL!

PS. Meant to say it is the sugar-free one we are using
Iz & Skye x

[Modified by: posy1971 on 05 May 2010 13:55:04 ]

[Modified by: posy1971 on 05 May 2010 14:48:08 ]

Replies

• My boys are like this too! Whenever the add comes on for it and they joke about them being 'back to normal' I think 'yeh coz of all the bloody E number content' some people say it makes their baby/toddler sleep and Im sure thats coz they are crashing from the E numbers!!
  • My boy doesnt have a reaction to either of them.

I kinda like caluprofen as it is sugar free, at least wont rot his teeth :P
  • Thanks for you replies ladies.

I had to put her in the car to get her to sleep, argh! We gave her Nurofen strawberry at bedtime and she bounced around for 50 minutes again!!! So may have to try the Orange one and Tesco one for sure Lara! x