Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Other people's naughty children around your lo

Hi how do you deal with other people's naughty children around your lo? Family or outside family.... image
May have got myself in a pickle, wasn't sure how to handle the situation.... It was family kids, anyway HOW? :roll: image

[Modified by: yummy mummy738 on 07 February 2009 22:17:33 ]

Replies

• oh this is a tricky 1,in my family its ok for some1 else to tell your child off,they expect to get told of by an adult at least,but i would be saying no you cant do that its not nice at least and if the other lo's parent arent around i'd tell them why i did it afterwards

what did the other child do?
  • Shouting and screaming in my lo's face. Their mother was there not doin much. I ended up shouting "OY" then regretted it as the mother didn't like that!
  • oh well i would have prob done something also,just because they didnt like it you also didnt like that fact your LO was getting screamed at thats what i would say,maybe not the approch well you werent doing anything lol
  • Oh hell dont get me started here lol!!!

I am the first to admit my three kids are a tad loud but very rarely naughty especially towards other kids but my nephew...well thats a sticky little monster if ever there was one. He is so selfish, wont share and is the first to tell tales when someone else has a toy that he wants(that he wasnt palying with !) And so me being me regulalry has words with him much to his suprise as most of my family pussy foot around him so they dont upset him. of course family take offence and return comments about my kids being loud but to be perfectly honest I DONT CARE WHAT THEY THINK...if a child is doing wrong/behaving a bad way towards my kids I WILL SAY SOMETHING.............ALWAYS.

I always find the quieter the voice and lower the tone puts the begeebies up any little monster and they usually back off and think twice about it....ooooh I sound a right bi*ch dont I???lol!! I think having three kids myself I do tend to be more watchful as I know what kids get up to and my three will gang up on the naughty child which again people frown on but thats how strong the bond is between my three.

God listen to me waffeling on lol!

Personally I think you are right to try and deal with the problem with the other child as clearly his mother doesnt think much about manners and personal space/respect!!!
  • I agree as well. My dad and my inlaws also get on to Kara and not just me. I have no problems with that. I don't want her to grow up and think she can get away with things in their houses and they won't say anything to her. I don't like cheeky children and I would go off my head if I thought Kara was cheeky and bad to another child.

If I was in your shoes I would have done the same thing. They are your kids and if you don't want anyone shouting in their face then that is up to you no matter who the child is.
  • I think you did exactly the right thing. If the other mother has a problem with it I'd find time to say 'sorry but you didn't like the way her kids were treating your lo and so you stepped in'. It's kind of a backhanded because it sounds as if you're apologising but, if she really thinks about it, it's actually a backhanded way of saying 'you weren't controlling your kids so I did it for you'. Bitchy but fair I think... lol !!! Other kids bad behaviour is always high on my whinge list especially when we're at our local soft play centre. It winds me up when Mum's go there to have coffee and chat with friends whilst their little monsters run riot, pushing and screaming. I think it makes it worse because the whole protective mother thing kicks in.
  • Hi I think I went about it the wrong way I just got a bit upset and lost it I guess. In future I'm going to just grab my son and walk away. I could never make an issue out of it especially if its family. But I won't sit back either.
  • It's a difficult one, children are children and are going to be naughty and do things that are naughty, personally I have the rule in my house that if a child is doing something that they shouldnt and the parent doesnt intervene then I will, if the parent is there and deals with it then that is fine but if they just sit there and do nothing then I will deal with it, in the same way if and of my children were doing something in some one elses house that they shouldnt be and I didnt notice I wouldnt be offended if they told them off. The exception to this being my brothers girlfriend who thinks its ok to tell my children to stop doing whatever they are doing even in my house just because she thinks they should be seen and not heard. Needless to say she has no children of her own
  • I know this will sound awful but if my lo is being naughty in someone's house I want to be the one to tell him off. I feel I'm his mother and nobody has the right to do so except me. The issue that happened that I ended up shouting at the other kid (family) I now think I was in the wrong if I don't let anyone say boo to my lo. By the way these situations only seem to come up with family, outside it seems to be dealt with quickly by other parents. So in future I'm not going to say anything, I'm going to walk away with my child. I'm not going to say this has happened, they should already know or if they don't then pay attention more. I know it seems so awful but its a sensitive issue within the family and I never voice my opinion to them. Is this right???? :\?
  • I know exactly where you are coming from yummymummy, I really dont like it when others tell off any of my children, to be honest I think that they are well behaved and I do notice if theyre not, like you my sistuation really only occurs with family, my borthers little girl is the same age as my daughter and she is always really pushing her luck whilst my brother and his girlfriend (not her child) constantly tell my daughter she is naughty, if it was anyone else I would tell them where to go but when its family it is difficult. I do tell his little girl if they are ignoring what shes doing but he doesnt like me doing it and does make nasty comments.
  • I think we expect other kids to be well behaved like our own fat chance of that. :lol: Some people honestly don't give a s**t. But if ours step out of line they are the 1st to start pointing fingers. Especially in families!
  • Oh yeh the finger pointing is such a pain in the backside, god why cant family members realise its not a competion between children, they have to learn the ways of behaving around people one way or another dont they????? but they wont learn right from wrong unless they are told off or praised when doing something.
    Oh well thats familys for ya...probably why I dont see mine very often lol!!
  • ...and why me, oh and lo are hoping to move 45 mins away! :lol:
  • Oh dont talk to me about moving away lol!...............hubby and I moved 3 hours away across the country mainly for hubbys job but also to get a fresh start just the five of us...with no interfiernce from family. 6 months later my mum and dad announce they are moving up here with my sister, nephew and grandma...........oooooh I was so mad. And so I responded with moving farther away(part because of money and part because of needing space) and we are now at least an hours drive apart.
    I know it sounds awful but I like to live where there is no family who know the neighbours or her round the courner etc Its my world/in this village, my space(if you get what I mean??) Dont get me wrong I enjoy the visits and we chat on the phone etc it works well for me.
    I feel I can handle most things on my own. My family have never been at my kids birth or anything. Very rarly do they babysit and I think as long as Im relying on myself no one can let me down.
    God listen to me going on lol!!! what an old women lol!!!!
  • I know exactly what you mean. None of my family were at my sons birth. Nobody in the family has ever babysat. Where we live my in laws are right across the road from us so we want to move where its more our own space