Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

climbing and panic!

Eoin has began to climb and clamber over everything, especially the sofa now he has learnt to climb onto it! i know its great for them to develop their physical skills.. but i sit there watching him with my heart in my mouth because he nearly tumbled off! he knows how to climb down safely And sits on sofa well, but when he gets over excited he dosnt concentrate and i watch in panic.. should i chill and let him fall and learn? or carry on watching and waiting to catch him incase he falls? help! panicky mummy!

Replies

• Scary isn't it! I generally tried to catch him where I could, moved the sofa so he couldn't get onto the windowsill and hoped he'd learn from the times he fell. He's been climbing on stuff for a few months now and still falls and has not learned!! All you can do is move stuff if you can (we move the small table into the kitchen in teh day, and put it back at night so i have somehwere to put my drink), rearrange if you can to minimise risk (although moving sofa away from window put it near enough to the fireguard that he can get on that! argh!) and catch them if you can! They are tougher than we think .. even if they end up looking dreadful from all the falls covered in bruises!

• My LO is also climbing onto anything and everything - she has no fear whatsoever! I tend to let her get on with it, unless it is something really dangerous and she could really hurt herself. She has fallen a few times, but cries for about 2 seconds and then try to do it all over again. She is covered in bruises though!